DRT 800 Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Kenx2, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Kenx2

Kenx2 New Member

Aug 28, 2005

Advertisements

Hi:

If I were to change the hard drive to a larger one, is there a way that I can copy the current drive to the new drive?

I know no Linux. I am handy with computers and electronics. I bought kits adding second drives to my other Tivos. I know about about the need for the drive to be "Blessed" and how easy it is supposed to be with Instant Cake. I have the ability to copy drives with my PC.

What I am asking is can I copy the contents of my drive to a new bigger one, maintaining what is recorded and the settings?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego
    Yes, you can copy the existing drive while keeping the settings and recorded programs to a new drive. I'd recommend WinMFS (http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/). It runs under MS Windows and is VERY easy to use.

3. May 2, 2008 #3 of 11
    Kenx2

Kenx2 New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Thanks! I will give it a try. Is there a maximum drive size that can be installed in the DRT 800?

4. May 3, 2008 #4 of 11
    dkenglish7

dkenglish7 New Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Oakland CA
    I have a 250GB Seagate drive in my 800 that works fine. Some have reported that the machine seems slower with a very large drive and lots of recordings, but the recent 9.3 software update helped that a lot.

5. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego

Advertisements

I have a 300GB in mine and it works fine. 750 is the largest PATA drive I've seen available...that size works, also. The one thing to think about is noise. Many drives are pretty loud.

6. Sep 6, 2008 #6 of 11
    Alessan

Alessan New Member

Feb 23, 2002
    I have a 500 gig in mine.
    I was thinking of adding in a second drive so two 500 gig drives.

7. werdna9

werdna9 New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    I dont think you can add a second HDD because the DVD is using that spot

8. sledhed

sledhed New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I have been concerned about the "loud" factor too... I found quite a few retailers online offering DB35 PATA / EIDE drives. When I tried to put in a regular Seagate retail 500GB PATA drive, it hummed too loudly and made the whole entertainment center hum. I put the original drive back and lived with the lower capacity, and put the 500GB into my desktop and that has been fine ever since... so noise is a definite factor to consider. Buy dot com has some db35 drives for reasonably close to a regular drive price, as do a couple other companies. That is what I plan on buying, pretty soon...

9. skywise

skywise New Member

Dec 26, 2001
    How about a nice big SATA drive and one of those SATA to PATA adapters? Then we can have a nice new drive (get a 35db one) and take advantage of the lower cost of SATA.
    (My drive is showing read issues, time to get it out of there)
    I'm almost tempted to try and put a TB drive in it, but that might be a bit greedy :)

Sky

10. skywise

skywise New Member

Dec 26, 2001
    I couldn't help the greed. <grin>
    I've ordered a 1TB Seagate drive ncix and a pair of SATA/PATA converters from ebay (one MB version and a drive version)
    I'll let everyone know how it goes once it arrives.

11. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego
    Any luck?