Dropping DTV to OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by phecksel, Jul 27, 2007.

1. phecksel

phecksel Member

Oct 10, 2003
    No, I won't ask how to convert my D*Tivo to receive over the air signals :)

We LOVE the Tivo, but after several great years, concerned with future product failure...why why why didn't I get the extra units when they were available?

But, to the point, what little TV we watch, is almost all network TV. Close enough to pick up a decent signal without a very large antenna, primary networks broadcast antennas are approximately 90 degrees apart.

Don't have the capability for HD, yet, but do have a decent sound system. Not having any idea what is available, where the market has gone, thinking I'm getting tired of paying $60 every month to literally watch a couple of non network channels a week.

What are my options, should I wait until everything goes digital, how much in monthly service fees, any other suggests?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Get the TiVoHD. It will work fine with your older TV.

3. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    You can also get a used Single Tuner Tivo and a Voom HD box and record from the output of the Voom box (the Tivo is able to control the Voom box through IR cables).

I do agree that the TivoHD is better for doing this but if you're looking for an older lifetime Tivo (no monthly fees) then using a Voom box would help extend it's usefulness.

4. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Not quite so fast. The OP should be aware that the HD does NOT have a RF output . Many older TVs do not have A/V inputs. Also there is no provision to control a STB should that be an issue.

Other than that the HD should make a fine choice.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    My sentiments exactly... and the reason why I left DTV and of course now I have reasons for never going back to them.

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

An rf modulator solves the problem of no A/V input.
    and I have yet to see the need for a set top box to receive ota signals.

7. phecksel

phecksel Member

Oct 10, 2003
    My TV isn't quite that old, LOL

It does have color stream and S-Video inputs, although the DVD player is connected to color stream.

We have one station we don't want to give up :( Question is, is that one station and the two programs worth $60 monthly???? Rhetorical question, only we can answer that. I do expect to upgrade TV at some point, but things like the DVD player giving me fits, and my main computer frying it's MB... :(