Dropped HD service from DirecTv, almost dropped DTV altogether

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by hefe, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Apr 3, 2010 #1 of 64
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town

Advertisements

So I called DirecTv to have them cancel my $10/mo HD access fee. Now that they've moved the HD channels to MPEG4, I don't get any on my HR10-250. It's fine really, since I've only been watching HD on the OTA networks. But since there are no satellite HD channels available to me, I called to cancel the fee.

The CSR told me I couldn't, per DirecTv policy. All HD capable receivers need to pay the HD access fee. I said that was unbelievable, and asked to be escalated up to a supervisor.

The supervisor told me the same thing. I was pretty furious at this point, and already planning in my head to check out TiVo equipment for other carriers. I told him that it made no sense. My receiver is no longer able to receive HD from DirecTv, so I shouldn't have to pay the fee. He said that's the policy. I said OK, just so we're clear, you're choosing to not give up this $10/mo from me when the result will be that I find another service. That's my next move, it's one or the other. Take $10 less, or nothing.

So he goes to check again on what he might be able to do. This time he says...since I own my equipment, and I'm not leasing, he can remove the charge. The policy is that if you lease HD capable equipment, you have to pay the fee. Well, ok, that makes more sense at least. Took quite a lot to get to that point though.

So a lesson to anyone who may want to do the same. Let them know it's on equipment you own.

2. Apr 3, 2010 #2 of 64
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Crazy. There's no reason to pay the $10 HD Access Fee if you only have older MPEG2 HD Receivers or DVRs. Their CSRs should know that.

3. Apr 3, 2010 #3 of 64
    BGLeduc

BGLeduc Member

Aug 26, 2003
    New Mexico
    I had the exact same deal. The 1st CSR put my on indefinite hold when I got frustrated with her ignorance and asked for a supervisor. So, I hung up and tried via email. That took two CSR's and a threat to cancel D* all together, which I most definitely would have done.

The 1st CSR had no idea what I was talking about when I said that all my HD channel were terminated on 3/31.

I realize 1st level CSR's are 1st level for a reason, but you would think a brief alert to the staff explaining a major change like this would be in order. Bahhh, who am I kidding. :)

Brian

4. Apr 4, 2010 #4 of 64
    cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    a) MPEG-2 only customers weren't supposed to be charged the HD Access fee, but in typical fashion, they screwed that up years ago.
    b) Don't even bother with whatever answers the phone. The standard customer support people do not know what's going on and will almost always be unable to help. DTV has ~16mil subscribers; the mpeg-2 cutoff affects maybe 100k.

The HR10 is not "HD Equipment". They are no longer broadcasting any HD it can process.

5. Apr 4, 2010 #5 of 64
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town

Advertisements

That was my whole point to the supervisor. But the factor in my favor was that I owned my equipment outright. Of course, what are the chances that anyone is leasing HD equipment that isn't MPEG4 capable at this point...

6. Apr 4, 2010 #6 of 64
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    What took you so long? This is why I dropped DirecTV years ago.

You had no problem with those DirecTV B*s RAISING the HD access fee and other rates while you got fewer and fewer HD channels?

You were supposed to settle for the crappy Rupert box while singing its praises as, "it usually records and don't hardly crash no more" and then hang by your fingernails while you wait an eternity for the new TiVo receiver.

Now you're going to find that just by calling you agreed to a two year commitment and they'll charge you a $200 ETF on your last bill.

The only thing that matters if you own the equipment is may successfully be able to keep them from making you pay for not sending it back. I had to argue for them to remove the lease fee from my bill on my owned receiver, so that when I called in a year to cancel they could tell me I had a two year commit merely for activating it. Like with you, "That's our policy." My policy was to tell them to shove it anyway and make it my mission in life to get them one cancellation for each $1 they stole from me.

I've had a lot of joy hauling dishes out the metal recycler.

DirecTV is institutionally crooked. If Bernie Madoff owned a video provider, DirecTV would be his pride.

7. Apr 4, 2010 #7 of 64
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I used to have cable. I hated them far more.
    I've always paid $10 for HD access (since late 2004). It's never gone up.
    No, I did not.

8. Apr 5, 2010 #8 of 64
    Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    18 Million.

9. Apr 5, 2010 #9 of 64
    samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    What do you mean by fewer? DirecTV has more HD channels than anybody else. If you are stubborn enough to keep insisting on use of obsolete DVR or waiting forever for the new DirecTiVo it is your problem. 18 million DirecTV subscribers have access to all the HD TV they ever wanted and love it.
    You went to cable - more power to you. Enjoy your tuning adaptor and CCI bits or whatever people are complaining about in S3 forums.

10. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    HD access used to be 10.99 but DTV dropped it to 9.99 a few years back and added a penny to make it 10.00 I believe in early 2009.

11. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    In my household, those chances are 100%. One of my four HR10-250s is considered leased by DirecTV.

12. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I think a sample of one isn't statistically significant. :D

How did you lease one? I bought mine pretty early, and DirecTv had nothing to do with them. Did they actually offer them for lease at some point? And if you are, why would they support it anymore? Don't they want it back so they can give you an MPEG4 unit?

13. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    There was a short period of time between when DirecTV started leasing receivers and when they stopped giving out HR10s. If you got an HR10 at that time it would be a leased receiver.

14. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    My DirecTV service is currently suspended. Most likely I'll cancel outright in a couple months. The HR10-250 that I have which is leased was a freebie upgrade/promotion type deal they had to keep people subscribed to NFL Sunday Ticket at one time. I think there was probably only a couple of months overlap between the time they started their leasing business model and the time they stopped distributing HR10-250s at all.

15. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Yep. Heck, my last DirecTivo SD unit (Hughes HDDVR2) was leased.

The leasing model began I believe middle of 2005 if I remember correctly.
    HR10's stopped production around that time but were still sold until mid 2006 and the HR20 was introduced in August/Sept 2006.

Leasing is an overall thing DirecTV went to and doesn't have anything to do with what model receiver you have. If you activated after the date they started leasing then most likely (99% chance) it's leased. Even if it was a DirecTivo. :)

16. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Leasing began in March 2006. I think.

17. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    I have both leased and owned HR10-250's, which all 4 are now are getting swapped free for HR20's (need OTA) thanks to my friends at DirecTV. And these HR20's will all be leased.

18. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    And I assume you're on the hook for a 2-year commitment? That's going to be the sticking point for me.

19. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    "In my household" qualifies the answer. In his household, ALL homeowners are homeowners who have leased non-MPEG4 equipment, so the sample is 100%. If 100% isn't statistically significant, then what is? Question asked, question answered.

I believe DTV started the leasing model either when the HR10 dropped to $499, or when it dropped to $299 with a $100 rebate. I bought one at $849 in 2005 and later I added one on each of those plans, and I have two left, one leased, one not leased (the original one). So IIRC, that would indicate leasing began at the drop to $499, which was in May or so of 2006. That makes sense, as they wanted to have more control over the equipment, seeing as how they were not that far away from having to begin a replacement campaign (HR2x for HR10).

And yes, they do want both back and want to give me free HR2x's, which I also have 2 of already. But what they want and what they are going to get are two different things. I would like the HR10's to last until the HD DVR platform matches Tivo in EVERY way, and I would like to hang on to mine that long, which technically could be forever, since I doubt it will ever fully match the HR10 (pretty close already, though). But I am realistic that neither of those will come to pass.

And I see the danger, which is at some point their deal may be off the table. I just don't have a clue when, or when my HR10's will die. So it's a crap shoot whether I will replace them with something that lives up, and whether I will get that replacement for free. But I'll stick with the HR10s, as it is nice to have a combo of both platforms.

20. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Oh please. You understood what I was asking.