Dropouts & Low Signal with Comedy Central on FiOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rlcarr, Dec 9, 2015.

1. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA

Advertisements

I have a Roamio Pro and am a Verizon FiOS customer in the Boston area.

Tonight I went to play a Comedy Central recording from months ago and it was loaded with dropouts and skips. I then went through a bunch of other CC recordings (including one a couple of days ago) and they had it. I then tuned to the channel (690 for me) live and the live channel is full of them, too. The live SD channel (190 for me) was fine.

I looked at the signal strength for channel 690 and while it said "digital signal acquired" the strength was moving around between around 75 and 85. For 190 it was 100. Channels 689 and 691 were also 100.

Then I looked at the TiVo diagnostics and unsurprisingly saw big numbers for the two "RS" entries.

Any idea (a) what could be causing this, and (b) what to tell Verizon when I call? A spot check of a bunch of channels doesn't turn up any other problems. It seems to be only Comedy Central, and as the recordings show, has apparently been going on for months.

2. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Passing along something I found out on another forum:
    And sure enough, I have problems with 752 as well (even after hand tightening all connections). Hopefully I can get Verizon tech support to deal...

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I might suggest this. It may help to impress the Tech.

Use the TiVo box Diagnostics to verify that both channels are on the same channel. Then use the Signal Strength - Cable to see a real time signal level. I might show variations not seen on other channels. The TiVo box Diagnostics are the levels after AGC has caused the signal to settle.

I've learned that when my MSNBC signal is screwed up (which nobody watches), to compare it to the Hallmark channel (more popular). They share the same frequency. I use a Roamio basic that doesn't count RS Corrected errors.

4. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    How do I do that first part? Does the diagnostics screen give the QAM/frequency each tuner is tuned to as well as the channel number?

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Yes. TiVo Central, Settings & Messages, Account & System Info, TiVo box Diagnostics. You scroll through each tuner, with the cable card (and tuning adapter) at the end. Note that you can get all tuners on one channel by 1) tuning the channel, then 2) going to Help, Restart & reset, Restart the TiVo box. When it's finished (about 5 minutes) all tuners will be on your selected channel. They should have close to the same Signal % and SNR. If one or two are way off, call TiVo.

One entry, Time Since OOB Tune Start is a counter of how long your box has been running. In seconds.

6. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    New developments...

Not too long after my original post the problem went away on its own.

But starting (at least) last week it's back again. May be time to push for the ONT replacement this time...