Driving Two Displays

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Testpattern, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Testpattern

Testpattern Testpattern

Dec 5, 2006
    OKC America

Advertisements

I've been a happy S3 user without problems since we got our S3 several years ago. We use it to drive a single Sony SXRD via HDMI and have had no significant issues.

I want to hook up a second Sony in our bedroom and have been trying to understand if the S3 will drive two sets at the same time.

Have any of you done this and if so how?

Thanks... Alan

2. Krellion

Krellion ...

May 17, 2002
    Hampton, VA
    All of the outputs on a Series3 TiVo (HDMI, component, s-video, and composite) are all active at the same time, including the audio outputs.

You may have HDCP issues when your main TV (connected via HDMI) is off; if so, you can use the component connection instead, then use the s-video/composite connections for your other TV(s).

Another thing to note is that you may have some aspect ratio issues if the TVs connected are different ratios (widescreen in the living room, standard in the bedroom).

3. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    If you want to feed both TV's via HDMI, you will need an HDMI splitter.

4. Testpattern

Testpattern Testpattern

Dec 5, 2006
    OKC America
    I'm using HDMI on the primary display. Can I utilize the component out to drive the second display simultaneously with the HDMI remaining active on the first set?

Thanks...

5. rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado

Advertisements

Yes. I use HDMI to my main projector and component + L/R analog audio to a zone 2 LCD. It works just fine.

6. Anchorman

Anchorman Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Michigan
    I decided to run HDMI to the bedroom since it's a single cable. I went with a "HDMI Tin-Plated Copper CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Cable (26AWG) - 25ft (Gold Plated Connectors)" from Monoprice.com. You can get it now for $17.11. It works great.

I connected the living room tv (near the Tivo) using component video cables. Both TV's are 16:9 format. This has worked very well form me.

And yes, both outputs are alive at the same time.

7. Testpattern

Testpattern Testpattern

Dec 5, 2006
    OKC America
    Thanks guys. Great feedback from a great forum.