Drive too small?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by lillevig, Jan 11, 2012.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I made a WinMFS image from an original 40 GB TCD240 after doing a C&DE. I put an S1 image on the drive to do some experimenting but when I try to restore the S2 image WinMFS says that the drive is too small. I've tried doing "Delete Format" in WinMFS and even reformatting the drive under windows but no luck. The S2 is unsubbed so not a real show stopper. Any ideas other than find a bigger drive?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    You are probably making the swap partition is too big.

3. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I second that, you can't increase the swap size if you're restoring the image to the same size drive.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That model probably used a Maxtor drive which had a slightly higher LBA number (about an extra 3 GB on a 320G drive ratio) than contemporary WDs and maybe Seagates. So it wants to restore to a drive at least as big as the Maxtor.

Same problem with TCD540xxxs.

Unless of course using it in an S1 locked the drive and you didn't break out your MFS Live cd and run diskutil to unlock it, in which case it's probably reporting itself as about 9GB.

5. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Actually, the drive is a WD Media drive and it is reporting the expected 40GB size. Maybe I'll burn the WinMFS image to a larger drive without expanding and then do a MFSTools backup and restore to the 40GB drive to see if that works. Just seems weird that the image won't fit on the same drive it came from. WinMFS thinks the drive is a few sectors short of a load....

6. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I'm using the default swap size for WinMFS. What it is reporting is that the drive has xxx sectors but WinMFS thinks that the image requires xxx ++ sectors. I can try making the swap size smaller. Any suggestions as to a usable number? I haven't run into this issue before because I've always restored to larger drives.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    40GB Maxtor LBA number = 80293248

40GB WD LBA number = ?

Subtract the second number from the first, multiply by 512

That's the number of bytes by which the WD is too small for an image that wants to be restored to a Maxtor.

Divide that number by a binary MB and decrease the swap partition by that much and hope you never need the swap for anything serious.

8. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Ok, the numbers I got from WinMFS showed the drive size as 78165360 and the image size as 78296369. Did the math and came up with a swap size of 64MB (half the WinMFS default). That did the trick. Thanks for the tutorial.

9. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    That was a pretty darn smart solution Unitron. I'm impressed...

The drive on that short bus will get you every time. rofl

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I learned the hard way that Series 2 Maxtors are just that much bigger than other brands, and therefore images of them won't fit normal size drives.