Drive thrashes after an InstantCake Upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by ares, Sep 13, 2007.

1. ares

ares New Member

Mar 4, 2007

Advertisements

The other day, I got a green screen on one of my 2 SD-DVR40s. The drive is dead. The other unit came with an 80 and a 160 GB drive, both of which ran incredibly quiet. As I didn't have any other drives handy that were large enough, and I couldn't get a replacement drive, I used InstantCake on each of the drives and migrated the 160 gb drive in place of the dead drive. Since then, the drives have been thrashing constantly. Now, I understand that they're constantly recording the live signal that's understandable, but they weren't nearly as loud about it before the "upgrade" job. It's kind of annoying trying to get to sleep at night with the drive thrashing.

FWIW, both units are doing it, although the 160GB unit is in the family room and its noise is covered up by the ceiling fan, dogs, and ambient noise level. its the one in the bedroom that's getting obnoxious. Also, neither of these units is at the moment connected to dual satellite feeds (Haven't got the cables terminated yet.)

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, was there a solution for the problem?

2. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    That's called seek noise and if your drives are Seagate Desktop drives, you are out of luck.

WD, Samsung, Hitachi drives have AAM feature that you can use to tune noise level. Seagate DB35 series drives are tuned at the factory to be quiet.

3. ares

ares New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Thanks. I knew it was seek noise (The TB worth of drives in the basement do that to me on a regular basis).

These were both WD drives, and I guess I'm wondering if it was the InstantCake that reset the tuning and where to go for the tools to quiet them down?

Thanks for the response!

4. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Instantcake does not tune the drives as far as I know. A TiVo that has not been run in a long time will do a lot of cleanup and other work. In addition, as soon as it makes a call, which is very soon after the TiVo starts, it will spend hours sorting the new programming. This will cause a lot of disk noise. The amount of seek noise should subside after a while, although the decibel level of each seek remains the same unless you use the acoustic management tools.

5. ares

ares New Member

Mar 4, 2007

Advertisements

that's what i figured. as they've been doing it for about 5 days now, i'll pull them out and adjust the acoustic levels. thanks for the tips folks!