Drive Test on a Mac?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by earworks, Feb 9, 2016.

1. earworks

earworks New Member

Feb 27, 2007

Advertisements

My Tivo Series 3 HD is sticking on the "Welcome, Powering Up" screen. I've confirmed power supply voltages and would like to confirm the drive. I upgraded to a 1TB Seagate 3 years ago and it's been working happily until yesterday.

My question: is there a way to test the drive using a Mac? Unlike many folks, I don't have a handy Windows machine on which to run SeaTools.

Thanks in advance for the help. This forum rocks!

Cheers,
    Tom

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If the Tivo has problems with the drive, like reboots and the power is running properly, then its very possible the drive has failed

You quite possible can download the Ultimate Boot CD ISO, make a bootable CD and boot from it with the Tivo drive attached (SATA/USB) and use the utilities there.

3. earworks

earworks New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    I pulled the drive and stuck it in a USB dock that's attached to my Mac Pro. The drive spun up but failed to show up in the Apple Disk Utility app, so I was pretty suspicious… even with a foreign drive format, Disk Utility normally will "see" the drive, and the Mac will offer to format it. But nada…

Only got 3 years out of that Seagate 1TB drive…

I was able to borrow a Windows machine to build a fresh Tivo drive from the "Instacake" software I purchased a few years ago. Reinstalled in the machine and it's back up and running once more.

Now my challenge is to get the fine folks at Frontier Fios to figure out how to pair the CableCARDs to the new drive. They're apparently not accustomed to dealing with a 9 year old dual tuner/dual card Tivo.

Oi!