Drive failing in series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by shortspecialbus, Apr 11, 2009.

1. shortspecialbus

shortspecialbus New Member

Oct 9, 2006

Advertisements

The hard drive in my series 3 seems to be failing. It's been getting progressively noisier over the last month or so, and the tivo has been hanging a lot. Today, the drive started making a very loud clicking noise when the tivo hung, which is pretty much a symptom of a failing drive. So far, I've been able to get away with rebooting to fix it.

My question is "is it possible to replace the drive and not have to screw around to get my mydvr expander to work again?" I'd rather not have to hack around stuff but if I need to, I can.

Thanks!

-stefan

Edit: It would also be neat to keep my recordings, assuming the drive works long enough to get them off. It's looking like I'm going to have to do IV-11 in the DVR upgrade sticky. Is that the case?

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you have the My DVR Expander attached, the only way to backup recordings....is to download them to your computer and/or transfer them to another TiVo with MRV.

If it were me, I would just stick with a larger replacement drive (section V).

3. walkerism

walkerism The Clean Up Man

Aug 16, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I am having the same issue and just ordered a new 1TB drive from DVRUpgrade. Can I Not use my Expander anymore after I install the new internal drive?

4. hillstones

hillstones New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Valencia CA
    When you install the new drive, it will be like a brand-new TiVo, never used before. So when you reattach the expansion drive, it will see it as new and re-associate by deleting all the data. When you attach an external drive, it "marries" it to the internal drive and the TiVo thinks it is one big drive. The data will only be retained if it re-connects to the drive it was originally married to. Apparently, that is one of the downsides of an external drive. Most replace the internal drive with a larger one since it is cheaper and less problematic.

I know some have said this is true especially if a show is spanned across both drives. Don't know what the TiVo would do when you connect a drive with existing data. I don't own one, so I am just speculating since people said the drives are "married" as one.

5. hillstones

hillstones New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Valencia CA

Advertisements

My Series 3 drive bit the dust just a few weeks ago. Same issue. Freezing/rebooting, and then to the point where it wouldn't even get passed the "Almost there" screen on startup. Could not even run diagnostics. The hard drive was scratching away at the same sector.

I replaced my internal drive with one from weaknees.com and all is well. I think you are better off buying a nice large internal drive and selling the expansion drive. Most seem to have odd issues with the expansion drive, and that has also been the cause of random freezes and reboots.

6. Shawn95GT

Shawn95GT Tivo, in HD!

Oct 7, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    My TivoHD was doing the same thing. I just unplugge dthe expander and replaced the 160gig with a New 1TB drive.

All the space of my S3 with a 750 ESATA hanging off of it and none of the hassle.

Best $108 I've spent in a while!

7. msu-dawg

msu-dawg New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Just did the same with my TivoHD- ditched the 500GB expander and the 160GB internal for a 1TB internal. More space than I had before and half as many components to fail! Less if you take into account the fact the Expander has more than just the HD inside of it that can cause problems.

8. msu-dawg

msu-dawg New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Per my understanding of the Upgrade FAQ Sticky, once you upgrade your internal drive to a larger one, the My DVR Expander is no longer "Plug and Play" and requires you to use the MFS upgrade software and your PC to "marry" the two drives together before installing into and attaching to the Tivo (just like you would if using a non-supported external drive). This is aside from the issue that you pointed out- that any existing data on the Expander would be lost b/c it's being attached to new internal drive.

9. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    I don't think most have problems is correct. I would go along with some have problems. I haven't had ANY problems (knock on wood) since I installed mine. That said If it ever does fail I will probably upgrade the internal drive to at least 1 TB and leave it at that.

10. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Getting ready to do the same. Ordered a WD10EVCS and will install when it arrives. My DVD Expander went belly up after 18 months. First problem I've had naturally after the warranty is expired.

11. jeffw_00

jeffw_00 Member

Sep 19, 2000
    There's another thread that says that if you get a replacement drive from Weaknees that it doesn't work P & P with the expander -because NO upgraded drives work P & P with the expander.

So if I got a 160GB replacement drive from WKnees - would -that- work?

Most people sidestep this by getting a big internal drive, and ditching or selling off the expander...

/j

12. drey

drey New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    shortspecialbus,

Send me PM if you need a replacement or 1TB upgrade drive for your TiVo.

13. shaggy314

shaggy314 Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Blue county...
    My S3 drive was rapidly dying (reboots & lock ups), but didn't want to overpay for the drives you get prepared for you by others and bought a Seagate 750 GB DB35 from online (Amazon or Newegg, I forget). I used the MOST excellent WinMFS [http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/] and just duplicated my existing drive. I was up and running as if nothing happened in about 2 hours (I had a LOT of un-viewed recordings).

I'm a chicken little when it came to replacing the drive, but I got through it with all of the online help as I already owned the torx screw drivers I needed.

NOTE: Delete your deleted programs first to save time as it will try to duplicate them too. :)

The eSATA expansion is a nice idea for a little while, but larger drives are SO much cheaper and SO much less hassle.

Just to start a nice debate... Is the DB35 class drives still worth the extra little $$ for them or hold out for the 2 TB green drives?

14. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Be sure to see the drive upgrade sticky for FAQs and recommendations. Seagate discontinued the DB35 line some time ago; they refer to the new line as the "Pipeline" series.

The most popular drive for upgrades are Western Digital's "Green" 1TB drives. There's not much point to the 2TB models, however, as the TivoHD and Series3 support maximum internal capacities of 1.26TB and 1.35TB, respectively.

15. bobrt6676

bobrt6676 Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Huber...
    I just upgraded my internal with the same 1TB because my DVR Expander went belly up 1 month after the warranty expired. Did not seem worth buying another when the internal 1 TB was 108! And it was quite easy to do using WinMFS.

16. shaggy314

shaggy314 Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Blue county...
    And she died again... This time went with the 1 TB WD green drive with the park head set to 5 min so as to prevent the no restart 'bug'. Up and running in under an hour. Again, deleting the 'deleted' shows saves a LOT of time in the WinMFS copy. The WD drive is quieter than the old Seagate and has a bigger buffer.