Drive Expansion

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Old techie, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Old techie

Old techie New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    I have a Hughes SD-DVR40, software version 6.2-01-2-351. I recently bought a WD 250 g drive to replace the orginal 40 g drive. I've had no previous experince with TiVos or Linux. I downloaded the Mfs tools to a cd and followed the Hinsdale instructions. I copied all of my recordings to the new drive. Everything went well except the new drive did not get expanded and still only holds approximately 35 hrs of programming. Is there a way to expand the drive and keep my recordings or do I have to go back and repeat the copy step. Also what did I miss to cause this problem.

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Use mfsadd to expand the drive.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    And don't use the normal MFS Tools CD, use an LBA48 CD, such as the one from PTV Upgrade or Weaknees.

4. weaknees

weaknees Active Member

May 11, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The Hinsdale instructions have you expand after restoring, in two separate steps (still not sure why). Just run:

mfsadd -x -r 4 /dev/hdX

and you should be fine.

5. dfk70

dfk70 New Member

Oct 23, 2003
    Sterling, VA
    I have a similar problem, I think. I added a 160 GB drive to my 40 hour DirecTivo but I forgot to use an LBA48 CD so I didn't get the entire capacity of the new drive. Can I just run the mfsadd command again and get the rest of the drive?

Thanks.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    No. You expanded once, so that means the partition table is full. You can only expand if there are two partition table entries free, and a typical Series 2 or DirecTV DVR will have partition table room for only one expansion.