Drive expanders for new Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Wexlerbob, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Wexlerbob

Wexlerbob Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Southern...
    I am planning on buying 2 new Tivo Bolts from Amazon.
    I am switching from Dish Hopper to Cox Tivo.
    I currently have a half dozen 2 TB external drives full of content for the Hoppers. That content will all be lost once I switch to Tivo.
    Can I use those drives as expanders on the Bolt and swap them to view my Tivo content, OR was the Tive salesman correct when he said disconnecting a drive from the Bolt will erase all the content, because of DRM. It doesn't make sense to me that unplugging a hard drive could erase it.

On another note, can one Bolt View content on another Bolt through MOCA or Ethernet?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Sorry you can not use your existing 2TB external drives with a TiVo. For some unknown reason TiVo only supports one external drive, it is a 1 TB western digital. This drive is an eSATA drive and if you unplug it you do loose all your recordings because of the way the TiVo marries the drive to your main drive (you do not see it as a separate drive, you only see one large drive).

On the bright side Bolts can stream recordings to each other (or Minis) over your network (MoCA or Ethernet) easily.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  3. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    As far as the external drives go if I'm not mistaken it works similar to a raid configuration, and once disconnected you lose all the information on both drives. I think this is the only one that will work (https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/westerndigital) but I have read Weekness has some sort of way
    to configure external drives, but I can't confirm this. hope this helps.:)

4. pwlcheng

pwlcheng Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I would suggest to build a file server with your 6 drives and then copy and save your TiVo recordings to it.

5. Wexlerbob

Wexlerbob Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Southern...
    Would the recordings then be playable from the file server, on any of the TIVO devices (Bolt or Mini)?

Would a Linux server work?
    Any software required to provide TIVO bidirectional access?

6. exraytheontom

exraytheontom New Member

May 10, 2011
    La Habra,...
    I just tried to hook up my brand new 1TB expander to my new Bolt today and it doesn't seem to recognize the expander. I followed the instructions four times. Any idea's?

7. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  8. cyclone23

cyclone23 New Member

Jul 3, 2016
    That's not the answer. Requested and received Tivo's ESATA cable and when the Bolt powers up, it sees that there is an external device, but then says it's not compatible.

9. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    That is the answer if you are using the one and only currently available SATA External WD expander currently on the market that Tivo is compatible with.

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    fyp

I think TiVo long ago decided that external expansion was not worth the trouble to support.

11. razor237

razor237 Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Jackson, NJ
    Yet they still add the eSATA port to the new TiVo's :mad: ..... why tease us :confused: If im not mistaken the only external drive that is supported is no longer made and is hard to find