Drive Died... help me DIY?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by FishTail74, Oct 2, 2011.

1. FishTail74

FishTail74 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    MY TiVo HARD DRIVE DIED... Now my unit is stuck on reboot. Can anyone give me link to download the Pirmary TiVo HDD image or files I need to put on a new primary drive and make it work again? (I have no backups)

:confused: I'm looking for a free DIY solution. Can anyone help?

My Unit: Series2 TiVo TCD540040, which had 2 drives, but I already did a full reset before it fully died, so now no disks have shows. After working for a little while, it is now stuck on reboot. So I'm looking at simply pulling out the 2 drives, and putting in another one I have lying around. So I just need the right tools to make that new HDD work as the only one HDD in a new TiVo setup.

Thanks!
    James

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you have a PC, you can use WinMFS to restore a truncated backup to a new drive. Read here for the steps to do a Restore:
    http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/

Download link to WinMFS:
    http://www.mfslive.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=15
    You have to register to the forum in order to download.

Check here for a truncated WinMFS backup file. (Thanks to Unitron)
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8688730#post8688730

Once you have done the restore and install the drive into the Tivo, you will have to do a Clear & Delete Everything to marry the drive to the motherboard.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    And just in case that pc isn't running Windows XP or newer and you can't use WinMFS, you can get the zip of the iso for the MFS Live cd at mfslive.org as well, and that comment of mine for which the link is given will also lead you to a backup image that can be restored by the MFS Live cd.

4. FishTail74

FishTail74 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Exactly what I needed. Thanks Guys! I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out! Two quick questions...

1) :confused: If I do the Linux Boot CD method and use the "MFS Live v1.4 TCD540040 truncated backup" file, where can I find instructions on how to do it? Or does the boot CD literally include step-by-step instructions in the UI?

2) :confused: I assume none of this will effect my lifetime TiVo download subscription? Right?

5. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Check the MFSLive website for instructions. One thing to be aware of is that MFSLive will want to mount a CD ROM drive and that can be a problem if if doesn't recognize your CD drive. I know it sounds weird, but I had that issue with my laptop. It booted off of the CD but then couldn't figure out how to mount the drive to get the image. Fortunately, someone re-published directions for mounting a USB flash drive with the image. The link is here: http://www.dvrupgrade.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734

Your lifetime will be fine because it is embedded in a chip on the motherboard. Good luck.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Just to be incredibly nitpicky...

The TiVo Service Number of a particular unit is what's in the chip on the motherboard.

TiVo, Inc., i.e., the mothership, has a database that links that number to a particular account and account status.

The only way a particular TiVo knows what the account status is, is by calling the mothership, reporting its TSN, and being told what the status is.

In the rare instance of a unit which had its Product Lifetime Service status transferred to a different TiVo, the first one would continue to think it was lifetimed until the first time it "phoned home", so you could keep it away from the phone line and the internet and keep it in ignorance, but it would run out of guide data and the clock wouldn't get reset.

7. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Ah, yes, caught me in an oversimplification. :D