Drive Backup

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by runt, Oct 31, 2011.

1. runt

runt New Member

Aug 10, 2006

Advertisements

Is it possible to make an image of my stock Premier drive so I can use said drive in other things but still have the image if my new 1TB drive gets messed up?

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes. There is software and hardware options to make this happen, but each require the drive to be removed from the Tivo box.

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    No. Unlike the previous platforms(Series 3, 2, etc), there has yet to be a way devised of isolating a truncated image from the Premiere hard drive. In other words, as of now, the Premiere image is the entire 320 GB hard drive(for the regular Premiere).

The only way to install the Tivo Premiere software onto another hard drive is to have another Premiere hard drive to clone, via the JMFS program.

4. runt

runt New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Clonezilla or Redo Backup with the drive in my desktop should be fine, right?

5. whompus60

whompus60 Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Dothan, AL.

Advertisements

In theory, it should work. At the present time though, you would have to restore the image to a hdd then use that hdd to make a second hdd tivo ready. I am not sure I would trust that myself. I just have my 2 original 320gb tivo drives stored for safe keeping.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  7. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Exactly.

For all practical purposes, at this time, the only "image backup" for a Premiere is another spare, operable Premiere hard drive.