Dreambox codes now on Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by lor, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1 of 51
    lor

lor New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Would just like to say that the Dreambox control codes are now known by Tivo.

Only problem is that after an initial scan of the services the numbers do not match But use a programme called DreamboxEdit and you can renumber the services to match those broadcast by your company and then it works with no problems.

Both the cable and satellite version of the boxes can be controlled. (Also the latest satellite firmware allows you to put your valid Sky Card in the Dreambox and watch all progs, just like the Sky Digibox). Not tested the Cable version with a card yet because all the programmes came on before I had chance to insert the card!

Chris

2. Oct 6, 2005 #2 of 51
    Milhouse

Milhouse New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    South...
    Chris - are you saying that the Dreambox can now be used to watch encrypted Sky Digital channels, or just the unencrypted free sat channels? I took a look at the DM7020 but this site states that the Sky viewing card does not work in the Dreambox :(

3. Oct 6, 2005 #3 of 51
    bradleyem

bradleyem Member

May 23, 2002
    London, England
    What is a dreambox?

4. Oct 6, 2005 #4 of 51
    alunj

alunj New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    LLantwit Major
    Yes the DMwill work with SKY and willa llow the use of a card with the right softcam.
    You can also then record the raw stream to HDD :)

I guess discussing the softcam is not permitted here?

I use mine set to 60hz and svideo to feed my US DRT800 ;)
    Now how do i get the uk ir database into the Humax running 7.2

5. Oct 6, 2005 #5 of 51
    lor

lor New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    The Dreambox 7000S, 500S, 7020S etc are satellite receivers. The Dreambox 500C is a cable TV receiver.

Yes, the Dreambox can receive ALL Sky programmes, even the encrypted ones. This is not Piracey. I should clarify the above statement by saying it can receive all stations that you subscribe to. (Except for the cable version, which doesn't seem to care if a card is there or not! It just puts the programmes on the screen)

Up till now the only Satellite receiver you could use your Sky Card in was the official Sky Digibox but now you can use the Dreambox as well. The advantage is no red dots! and, if you have a hard Drive fitted in the Dreambox, being able to record the decrypted stream for playback anytime, even when the card is not in the receiver. But the Tivo will do that for you anyway! Although as the Dreambox has an ethernet connetor you can FTP the recorded files to the computer and burn as DVD/VCD etc, but that it getting into areas that should not be discussed here.

6. Oct 7, 2005 #6 of 51
    Boucher

Boucher New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Cardiff
    I can confirm that the Dreambox runs Sky, And I must say the whole process is childs play compaired to the Tivo:)

The dreambox is one of the best Sat boxes i've ever come across, i own a Dreambox7000s with a 160hd .

I do hear many storys of Cardshare via Lan etc, esp on Dreamboxes!!!!

Meanwhile I going back to trying to get Tytools and Tivowebplus going.........LOL!

7. Oct 8, 2005 #7 of 51
    Milhouse

Milhouse New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    South...
    Thanks for the replies.

Is there an idiots guide to configuring the Dreambox, and any links to a good forum? I looked at the official DM forum but it seems to be mostly in German :( Also where best to buy them in the UK - I was thinking about the 7020, however I have read that a new version (7080?) is imminent.

I'm having a Sky dish installed today with the full package and standard Digibox, so could be looking to upgrade the Digibox if the red dot p*sses me off or I want to FTP the files. Hopefully the softcam can be discussed here (in this thread).

:)

8. Oct 8, 2005 #8 of 51
    Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Farnborough,...
  9. Oct 8, 2005 #9 of 51
    Milhouse

Milhouse New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    South...
    Yes, the "on screen timeout" (in Picture Settings) is "off" by default but when enabled the red dot disappears after about 30 seconds (on my Amstrad digibox). But lets face it the Dreambox has plenty of geek appeal, and I'm a geek, so therefore it appeals to me... will see how I get on with the digibox then investigate the Dreamboxen later in the year.

10. lor

lor New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    The dreambox can be bought from many dealers across the UK and Europe.

To do the good stuff you need a new image installed to the firmware, after that it is all automatic.

Not sure how much can be discussed on this Forum and it is going off subject so if you would like to PM me I will help in any way I can.

Chris

11. purplecelica

purplecelica New Member

Nov 13, 2005
    hey, Can anyone help me program a Dreambox 500C ?? please private msg me.. need help urgently!

12. akuma94080

akuma94080 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Hey guys! Happy hollidays! I am new into this and I just want to ask fro a big favor? How can I make my TIvo to work with my Dreambox 500s? is that possible?
    THanks

13. akuma94080

akuma94080 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    I need help please......How can I make my TIvo to work with my Dreambox 500s? is that possible?

14. Quinten

Quinten dutch tivo bloke

Jun 4, 2002
    Bucks
    What exactly are you after? The DB can be set up as a normal satellite receiver as input to the TiVo. Nothing special.

15. DeadKenny

DeadKenny New Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Woking, UK
    Interesting, so if a third-party box can now legally receive Sky channels with an appropriate subscriber card, what's to stop TiVo making a TiVo box that accepts a Sky card?

This would make it far more viable to make a new TiVo box in the UK as they can plug direct into the satellite's digital feed, do dual tuners, maybe even support 5.1 and HD. That way they'd have a competing box to Sky+ that people would buy (if they actually advertise it properly ;)).

I've always thought the reason they may be put off investing in the UK further is because they can't produce a suitable box other than the basic series 1 kind of box that just plugs into the anlogue output of existing boxes.

16. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I think 'legally' might be the wrong word; 'successfully' would probably be better :)

The DreamBox can accept a Sky viewing card and can decrypt the channels if you have a valid Sky subscription. Therefore you are paying Sky for the channels, so in terms of fair-use, it would be considered legal by most people.

However, I don't think the CAM used for the decryption is actually 'legally' licensed by Sky - indeed the post from alunj above says it is a softcam, a software CAM normally used for 'free' reception of encrypted satellite channels using hacked keys posted on internet bulletin boards... allegedly ;)

Therefore, if TiVo wanted to include a Sky tuner in a future UK machine they would still have to get Sky to agree to license the CAM - or resort to using a softcam and incur the wrath of Mr Murdoch and his army of lawyers!

The only reason the DreamBox can do it is because the softcam used to decrypt Sky is not provided by Dream, but is a third-party plugin developed by enthusists not in any way connected with or endorsed by Dream Multimedia. For TiVo to go down that route they would have to open up their architecture to the extent that their provision of EPG data for Sky could not be considered an endorsement of externally developed softcam plugins that breach Sky's CAM licensing restrictions - and I'm not sure whether that would even be possible, let alone desirable from their point of view.

17. frogster

frogster New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Following the BBC/ITV Freesat annoucement there is now a great deal of scope for a non-Sky satellite receiver with Tivo software and a hard drive. If it contained a CAM slot then that might even encourage Sky to authorise the above-mentioned CAM, when they see customers slipping away from them.
    Either way there are milllions of people today who want satellite but don't want any pay Sky channels and I see no reason why Tivo shouldn't cater for them with a new box. I would buy one. When analogue is switched off there will be many people who will just have to get satellite as there won't be any Freeview where they are. So even more potential users.

18. DeadKenny

DeadKenny New Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Woking, UK
    I want Sky channels, I just don't want Sky+, I want a TiVo with a Sky slot in it, direct stream recording, maybe twin tuner, and the chance of 5.1 and HD support.

It's only Sky that are blocking that. If maybe they could be forced to open up, then there's no reason why TiVo couldn't be a success here. Same goes with the cable networks.

19. frogster

frogster New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    That's fine but there are plenty of people who don't want Sky channels at all.
    I just pointed out that there is a lot of scope for Tivo to release a sat receiver with twin tuners, built-in hard drive and Tivo software for people who don't want pay channels and that if such a machine also contained a CAM slot then Sky might well be very tempted to release an official CAM for it once they saw people buying the boxes. This is the only valid way for Tivo or anyone else to get such functionality out as all these unofficial Sky CAMs are just that: unofficial and as such not to be marketed as Sky-compatible. AFAIK with the current CAMs the cards still need to go back into a real Sky box from time to time anyway.

It is generally accepted that about half the population will probably never pay for subscription TV and of those many live in non-Freeview areas and so are a great potential market for a non-Sky sat recorder. The Dreambox would, for example, be a good basis for such a recorder. In fact IIRC the Dreambox runs on Linux too so that probably makes it even more suitable to combine with Tivo software.

20. lor

lor New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    The problem with using a combined Satellite box and Tivo is the availability of the programme schedules. Only the major packages (eg Sky) have full details and throughout Europe the broadcasters of these packages want you to use their own dedicated receiver. Without a full programme guide Tivo would not be much use.

The Dreambox only receives now and next programme data from Sky so even with it's built in hard drive it is only as good as a top quality DVR (Except the recordings are unscrambled in normal TS format). However by pretending it is a Sky Box and plugging it in to the Tivo you get full functionalty. But it is hard work renumbering all the stations to the numbers that the Tivo box expects them to be on. (You use an external programme on your PC called DreamboxEdit, download the station list, right click the station name, then enter the new service number). Every time Sky change a broadcast frequency or add or remove a station you will constantly be having to update the list. It is much easier using the cable dreambox as there are a lot less stations on cable to edit.

Having said all the above I love using the Dreambox to watch Sky. The Tivo controls the normal Sky Box and I let the kids watch their cartoons etc on the Dreambox. and as the Dreambox streams it's output to any PC I can change stations and watch any channel on my PC in the office. Change satellite and I even get to see HDTV broadcast from Europe on my PC.

Chris