Dr Who "Runaway Bride" US airdate 7/6/07.....

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by emandbri, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Jul 8, 2007 #1 of 53
    emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO

Advertisements

discuss!

2. Jul 8, 2007 #2 of 53
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I found the bride annoying and grating. I was glad she didn't choose to travel with the Doctor.

3. Jul 8, 2007 #3 of 53
    Droobiemus

Droobiemus PSWii60

Sep 30, 2004
    Might as...
    Apparently there was a power outage when I went out Friday night, so therefore my Tivo didn't record the first two eps. :(

4. Jul 8, 2007 #4 of 53
    timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO

You might not like the future if what I read is true......

5. Jul 9, 2007 #5 of 53
    PhillyJimbo

PhillyJimbo New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Wales, PA

Advertisements

I hate all the inter-racial romance in the new series. It's like the BBC has an agenda and they're ramming it down our throats no matter how much it gags us.

I don't know how much more I can take before I stop watching it altogether.

6. Jul 9, 2007 #6 of 53
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Did you have your full KKK gear on when you posted this?

7. Jul 9, 2007 #7 of 53
    RoundBoy

RoundBoy New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    wow.. people just say the darndest things on the internet, don't they?

8. Jul 9, 2007 #8 of 53
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I really liked the bride and was hoping she'd be a companion. Yes, she was annoying and grating, but she was supposed to be. It would have worn off to some extent pretty soon.

9. Jul 9, 2007 #9 of 53
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    She was too dense to be a good companion. She'd get killed in half an episode.

10. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Inter-racial relationships are much more common in the UK than they are here. That whole slavery issue and second class citizen thing that we had had a tendency to put a damper on them around here. :rolleyes:

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yes, I've noticed that British TV is far more casual about inter-racial relationships than American TV, where until recently any inter-racial relationship tended to be a Big Event. Lately, American TV has gotten a lot better at both having non-white characters, and having them interact with white characters in ways that have nothing to do with color, but that only means that it's now bad instead of terrible; we still have a LONG way to go before we catch up with the British on this front.

12. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I didn't enjoy the episode because that's all I was worried about...she was awful...all I kept thinking was "please don't let this woman be his companion!"...

13. srs5694

srs5694 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    Woonsocket,...
    Tegan Jovanka was a Davison-era companion who could also be annoying and grating, although less so than Donna. In Donna's defense, much of her annoyingness was because she was upset at having been plucked from her own wedding -- I can't imagine many brides taking such an event casually!

Rumor has it that Donna will be returning as a full-time companion in the next season of the show. If done half-competently, this could be a good thing. IMHO, they've overplayed the Doctor/companion romance card in the last couple of seasons, and having a companion who's more likely to want to yell at than to snog the Doctor is a good thing. IMHO, much of the reason for the long-term success of the show is that the relationships between the main characters have undergone frequent changes, and having Donna as a long-term companion could work quite well in that respect.

14. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    I thought this was the WORST Dr. Who episode I have ever seen. The spider-woman's make-up and the general effects were terrible, as was the acting.

15. hapdrastic

hapdrastic Swarley

Mar 31, 2006
    So, Doctor Who-related time travel question:

They're in "the present", then travel into the past (in this case, to the formation of the Earth) and spend some time there. When they then travel back to "the present", why has time passed? Why not just return to the exact moment they left? Does time continue to "flow" and the TARDIS can only enter into the timeline with the same amount of time relative to what they'd just spent elsewhere? (That sentence makes no sense). I'd expect more of a Bill and Ted-style time travel where:

(do I really need to spoil this?)
    In Bogus Journey, they travel somewhere in time, spend several months learning how to not suck at being musicians then come back after just a few seconds of "our" time.

I'm just curious what the "rules" are in the Doctor's universe.

16. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I thought her acting was deliberately over-the-top, I but agree that whatever effect she was trying for, it didn't work.

Jan

17. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    Dude, whatever you do, never watch Torchwood!

just out of curiosity, who is "us"?

18. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Didn't you guys watch saturday morning cartoons? The spider lady was just like a cartoon villain. I loved it. I had enough of the Doctor and Rose being in wuv. This episode was 180 degrees in the opposite direction and was fun.

19. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA

Maybe he has a pet frog in his pocket. Either that or he's royalty.

20. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The major reason probably is because the TARDIS is not 100% accurate as to when it lands. To avoid landing in a timeline where they already are, which might result in a paradox and trigger the Blinovitch Limitation Effect, they deliberately shoot to land some random amount of time "after" (in normal time) they leave.