Dr. Phil goes HD!!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gossamer88, Aug 26, 2008.

1. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx

Advertisements

Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

2. FlugPoP

FlugPoP Illegitimate User

Jan 7, 2004
    Fontana...
    Link? Does it start this new season?

3. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
  4. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    You know, I'm all for every show going HD, but still it really irritates me that a lot of the shows going first are talk shows. I mean it's just people sitting around and talking! How HD does that have to be!

And then you've got shows like The Amazing Race that should have been HD from the start. I know it's all ratings and costs but it still pisses me off.

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA

Advertisements

As most shows switch the laggards will look more and more obvious.

The real laggards (not that I care) are the commercials. I have seen a few in HD but they will start to look embarrassing for those products, Maybe they think it will make them standout.

6. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    HD ads will most likely come from big sponsorship. If that paves the way for other shows to afford [pun intended] HD broadcasting, I'm all for it. Besides, a lot of what I watch is recorded, so they'll be FFd anyways!

7. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Of course, syndicated HD shows depend on the station having the ability to time-shift HD content, which unfortunately isn't as easy for them as "hook up a TiVo HD and hit record."

As I understand, none of the local stations in this area have the ability to time-shift HD programming, so none of it appears in HD here. (Network stuff is in HD, of course, because that doesn't require time shifting of content.)

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    LoadStar - we're in a similar situation in this market. The NBC affil is the only one with that capability right now, and it's spotty. Sometimes Jeopardy or Wheel will be in HD and other times not.

9. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Like I need or want his shiny stupid head in HD. Not to thread crap but I sure don't get the appeal. YMMV

10. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Of course it's in High-Def.

To enjoy it, you'd have to be either high or deaf.*

*Stolen from the Bob Saget Comedy Central Roast.

11. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    DP kinda mentions "you can now see my bald head in HD" in the promo.

12. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Is that why you are wearing a cap in your avatar? :D

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Apparently given all of the "if it's not in HD, I won't watch it!" sentiments, even the how shall I say... less popular shows will have to go HD at some point. Then you'll always gain viewers among the "I don't care what kind of dreg the show is, I'll watch it now because it's in HD" crowd.

Personally, I could never understand either of those extremes! :)

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    OMG, you totally stole my thunder, right down to the footnote!

(although, my footnote was going to be "stolen from Gilbert Gottfried, who stole it from Jeffery Ross". :))

15. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Yawn.

16. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    No, that's a TiVo hat with a set of TiVo antennae to be topical.\

But, I am somewhat bald, not that it matters.

17. teamzissou

teamzissou New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Washington, Dc
    no HD uggos on my tv!

18. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    HD of course takes up more space. Stations for syndicated shows only have so much server space. Dr. Phil is one of those that is syndicated (well delayed not syndicated, Tyra, Ellen, Rachel Ray are the same as well) as well as Jeopardy and Wheel which are now in HD. When I worked at my local CBS affiliate they were trying to work out the logistics to get Wheel and Jeopardy in HD. Like you said Network is in HD since all you have to do is pass it on which is simple, but catching HD off the satellite and then putting it into the server without losing quality and then also the space alone in the server makes it something that will not be overnight or in every market.

In short Dr. Phil may be going to HD but YMMV will vary depending on your affiliate.

19. mrdbdigital

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    If they are using a server, all they have to do is get one that is HD capable and sufficient storage capacity. There should be no quality issues. This is no longer a difficult task. The real reason most stations don't do local HD syndication is they don't want to spend the money with no additional financial return. It is no longer a technical issue, and if it is...... then they need to find a new engineering staff.

20. mrdbdigital

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    I have the same problem. :)