Downton Abbey season premeire?

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by Jstkiddn, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003

Advertisements

Downton Abbey is supposed to be starting up again on Jan. 5, but it's not showing up in my guide. It shows a special on Highclere Castle at 7:00, but at 8:00 instead of Masterpiece Classic, my guide is showing Doc Martin. Anyone else?

2. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    My guide shows Masterpiece Classic, the last episode of Downton season 3 at 7:00 pm (2 hrs), and the first episode of Downton Season 4 at 9:00 pm (2 hrs).

I have Comcast/Seattle area.

3. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Shows up on TW Dallas

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    we have a 2 hour premier of downton (masterpiece classic) in the guide from 8-10 (cdt), and highclere from 7-8.

according to pbs, sherlock (masterpiece mystery) is supposed to directly follow downton, but our market has a documentery on the tower of london, with sherlock starting at 11:30 (1:30 after downton ends).

apt (alabama public television) controls all the pbs stations in the state, the scheduling, too. they air different programming at wierd times, but mostly do a good job during prime time. they might disagree with sherlock airing so early, it can be graphic at times.

5. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH

Advertisements

Masterpiece Classic was in my guide for 1/5 (NHPTV).

Masterpiece Mystery! should be a repeat on 1/5... Sherlock new eps aren't starting until 1/19.

6. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    that's the reason for the time difference, thanks. ;)

7. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    I have a SP for Masterpiece Classic ("New Only") and it failed to pick up the first [new] episode of Downton Abbey. I had to select it manually. Very strange!

8. Jan 3, 2014 #8 of 28
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Yes, it won't pick it up as "New" since it's already aired across the pond :)

9. Jan 3, 2014 #9 of 28
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    What benefit is it to air so long after they air in the UK, I wonder? The entire season plus the 90 minute Christmas episode has already aired in the UK, but PBS is just about to start with episode 1 of the latest season?

10. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I'm guessing this was a joke, but in case not, mine picked it up ok. :)

Mostly, PBS doesn't want to air it against a full fall network schedule. They also need to edit it to fit the PBS broadcast window.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...y_why_pbs_airs_it_so_much_later_than_itv.html

11. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Thanks for that link! The interviewer asked good questions. I don't necessarily think all of the answers made tons of sense. If you have to give local stations a known break, just take a break and then resume with the show - no need to have the show trimmed down content-wise.

12. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

13. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Huh, weird. I have my season pass set to "new only" and it is only picking up the Sunday 9pm airings.

14. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    That link was funny, they are talking about trimming and editing the show for time, then at the end of the interview it says

This interview has been condensed and edited.

15. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    In this week's TV Guide, the same question was posed. This was their answer:

"The delay between the UK airings in the fall and the American premiere in January helps generate interest in the show and proves to be a ratings boon, according to PBS president Paula Kerger."

There's another couple of paragraphs to their answer, but I don't want to infringe on any copyrights here. The rest basically backs up that quote with some ratings numbers showing that what she said is accurate.

16. JohnDG

JohnDG Member

Oct 28, 2004
    <snicker> Like same day broadcasts of Dr. Who has really hurt its popularity. I'm guessing they don't want to pay a higher fee.

jdg

17. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Since there is this thing called the internet, there must be a danger of spoilers creeping over the pond to the New World.

18. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Oddly, my TiVos pick up the Downton episodes as new. And we have two PBSs in my market, but Doc Martin, sadly, is on the channel I don't get.

First night was episodes 1&2. I'd rather they stretched out the whole series at 1 hour per week. Last year, I think they doubled up the first two and the last two making for a frustratingly short 6-week season and I think they'll do it again this year. I wish it were 12-20 episodes, but, oh well!

I've read all the spoilers, but I still want to see the shows.

19. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    They are doubling up the first and last again, making it an 8 week season.

20. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    LOL. My math says:
    8 shows 2 in beginning (one week)

4 in the middle (each a separate week)

2 at the end (one week)

Equals 6 week season. Or did I miss something? I've only read of 8 episodes.