Downton Abbey (Final Season) S6E9 - OAD 3/6/2016

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeekiM, Mar 10, 2016.

1. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Anyone watch the final episode yet? I don't think I'll get to this until the weekend... In the meantime, talk amongst yourselves... :)

2. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Well, I'm probably in the minority but I thought this final season was weak. The whole hospital storyline just wasn't that interesting, we've been thru the courtship flip-flops with Mary a few times already (and did anybody not anticipate the car crash during the race?), but the worst was the happy-ending-itis of the finale. Everybody got paired up, or got the job or career they wanted, or whatever blah blah blah. Cripes, it was like a parody.

Very poor ending to a (mostly) good series.

3. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I don't know that I agree that it was poor, but it was certainly predictable. Everything that happened in the finale was predicted by someone or another in discussions in previous episode threads. There wasn't one surprise.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't know, that was pretty surprising to me.

(That everything was predicted.)

:D

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

I dunno. It was fitting. The show had its tragedies but it was largely a show about coping with change and things worked out in the end every season. So, it made sense that things would work out with the final thought that things will continue to change and the idea is to survive and work with the changes.

6. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Don't worry, George Crawley will be 19 when World War II breaks out. He'll be sent to fight and die at El Alamein, or Normandy, or Burma, or something else terribly depressing like that. :eek:

7. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I'm a sucker for a happy ending, so I was very pleased with this episode, and the final season overall.

I'm glad Edith ended up happy. I don't like Mary, but I'm glad she helped Edith after she screwed things up for Edith.

I'm glad Barrow ends up as the Butler. I think he's learned his lesson and will do a good job.

Loved that Rose showed up. I wasn't much of a fan when she first joined the family, but I really like the person she became. So glad she was there in the end.

Pretty predictable and very cliche, but I enjoyed every moment of it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  8. lpamelaa

lpamelaa Member

May 3, 2004
    Los Angles, CA
    I smiled to realize that stuck-up Mary is now the wife of a used car salesman. That's poetic and hilarious.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I remember that time. :D

10. paracelsus

paracelsus Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm OK with the happy endings in the final episode. Just glad the Dowager Countess didn't die off with a major stroke or something - her concluding words for the series were great.

11. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I was surprised that they did not sneak in someone dying in there somewhere. :p

Same here.

12. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    Even Ms. Patmore (sp?) got hooked up. Good for her!

13. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Count me among those that were thrilled it ended the way it did. :)

14. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I enjoyed every minute of every season and the BAFTA tribute was a perfect ending. :up:

15. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Just watched last night... While I agree that the ending was a little too tidy, as others have admitted to, I am a sucker for a happy ending... My head says that it was too predictable, but my heart is happy to see everyone's storyline end happily ever after! :)

16. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I was also happy with the happy ending.

I couldn't help but think that it would be a brief "happiness". The one thing history tells us is the Downton way of life does not continue for many more years. The entire class system crumbles after WWII.

But it was fun while it lasted!

17. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Not to mention the Great Depression looming just over the horizon!

18. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Yes - that had an impact on the finances of many of these estates, and closed many of them down.

But what really destroyed them was WWII.

19. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yeah, our family had no estates left after WW2.

20. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I love that Violet is responsible for fixing so many little things within the family...including (but not limited to) convincing Mary to help Edith, and helping Isobel bust into Merton's family home to bring the two back together...