Downton Abbey (Final Season) S6E5

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeekiM, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Feb 1, 2016 #1 of 28
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Starting up a thread for this week's episode... Planning on watching it tonight, so I'll have more to say at that time :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. Feb 1, 2016 #2 of 28
    soccergrunt

soccergrunt New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Indianapolis
    What an epic dinner scene. You knew Lord Grantham was sick and going to show it then, but not like that!!

And Mary's face when she heard Marigold's name was great. Didn't see that coming right at that moment.

3. Feb 1, 2016 #3 of 28
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Right! Completely, 100% telegraphed that Robert's "indigestion" was going to intersect the hospital subplot, but that was completely unexpected. I actually found myself unnerved by it.

My thought had been that this would be the spur to convince Granny that Cora is right about the plan. And maybe it will be. But if Robert recovers under local care, why would she change her mind?

4. Feb 1, 2016 #4 of 28
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I feel like I missed something there. When was this?

At the end, Edith said something about going to check on the children, and then that's when Mary started asking Anna about it, but I feel like I missed something that prompted it.

5. Feb 1, 2016 #5 of 28
    eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida

Advertisements

I thought an alien was gonna burst out of his chest or something!

Granny mentioned Marigold when Cora said something about too many secrets, and Mary overheard.

6. Feb 1, 2016 #6 of 28
    soccergrunt

soccergrunt New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Indianapolis
    When Cora and Violet were leaving for the hospital, Cora said let's not have any more secrets. Violet responded something like "you mean Marigold, that is all fixed and I apologized" They then showed Mary in the background who overheard.

7. Feb 1, 2016 #7 of 28
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Ahhh... I missed that Mary overheard that.

8. Feb 2, 2016 #8 of 28
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Did Anna know about it? I don't remember. They always say the servants know everything. How embarrassing for Mary to have to try to find out what's going on with her family from Anna. :D

The Doctor said, "It's his ulcer" like he already knew he had one. If so, why the mystery when he had stomach pain? :confused:

Are they going to fix up the cook (whose name escapes me at the moment) with Daisy's friend? (yeah, I can't remember his name either--I'm old)

9. Feb 2, 2016 #9 of 28
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Mr. Mason. :)

I hadn't thought of that, but maybe. I was thinking they were going to fix up Daisy with Thomas' crush that is interested in learning about the pigs.

10. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I'm not sure there was any mystery. Nobody seem surprised when he was in pain, so he probably knew he had an ulcer, just not that bad.

11. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Pretty sure the only person who doesn't know was Mary. That's why Anna was deflecting the questions when Mary was asking her about Marigold.

Yeah, they're being pretty heavy handed about that... and also apparently pairing everyone else off before the finale
    • Mr. Mason and Ms. Patmore
    • Molesley and Ms. Baxter,
    • Barrow and the new guy (even though he doesn't *think* he's gay),
    • Edith and that new guy
    • Mary and the race car guy
    • ....And I think they'll find someone for Tom Branson soon enough

It's like that Jeff Goldblum quote from The Big Chill: "I'm almost certain there's sex going on around here."

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  12. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Last year during the Xmas episode Robert had to abstain from rich foods and alcohol because he had been diagnosed with an ulcer. So yes, he knew he had one. I was surprised he hadn't gone back to the Dr to have it checked when he started having stomach pains. Maybe he didn't want to be told to cut back on the booze again.

I thought it seemed like they were going to make a couple of Mrs Patmore and Mr Mason (Daisy's FIL). IMDB FTW on the character names.:D

13. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001

I know it won't happen, but I'd like Mary/Branson to be the couple.

14. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Spratt and Denker?

15. Larry M

Larry M Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Central...
    Does anyone know how many episodes in this season? I haven't seen this anywhere.

Larry

16. Eight47

Eight47 Member

Feb 22, 2003
  17. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    No thank you, we need Matthew Goode to be hanging around the next 4 episodes. :D

18. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    FINALLY watched last night...

What's up with Daisy? Is she tired of people fawning over Mason? Is she jealous of the extra attention he's getting? If she wants his undivided attention, why would she push back so hard when Mason asked her to live in the cottage with him?

Wow... For a show that is generally tame, I was surprised to see so much blood at the dinner table! That was shocking... I thought he might faint...but erupt in blood?

Looks like Carson and Mrs. Hughes marriage is not the bed of roses that we expected... Rocky start...lots of little bits of friction here and there...

I wonder what Mary's reaction will be to the Marygold secret... She's likely more upset at being kept out of the loop than anything else I presume...

Spatt is in too deep... Denker will pull that nephew card out everytime she needs to see him wiggle... He needs to figure out how to neutralize this...maybe get some equally damning dirt on her would do the trick...

19. bacevedo

bacevedo Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Chandler, AZ
    We just watched it this weekend, too.

I agree. I can't figure out what she's being so weird about. She goes through all of this effort to "save" him and then snaps at people who show genuine concern and care for him.

Yeah, didn't see the blood coming at all. Way more graphic than I expected this show to be. Seeing him cough blood on everyone was pretty funny, though, for a show that has been so "proper".

I was telling my wife imagine if you had lived a certain way for 60+ years and then suddenly changed that. Carson is still so traditional and Mrs. Hughes is ready to move forward but doesn't have the experience of being a housewife.

Yep, I agree. She doesn't like the fact that she was kept out of the loop on something, especially when it has to do with Edith, whom she seems to hate for no apparent reason.

20. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    oops