downsize TiVo to 128gb SSD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by imagine9, Feb 29, 2016.

1. imagine9

imagine9 New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I use my TiVo HD Series 3 as a glorified cable box since I do not record or store anything on it so storage size is not an issue for me.

I had a 1tb standard HDD in it that got loud and was failing so I attempted to install a Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD in it but the WinMFS software didn't like the drive because it told me it was too small.

I instead used a Samsung 850 Pro 256gb SSD for the TiVo and it works like a charm, nice and quiet and fast, but it's really a waste since I believe I should be able to get the 128gb SSD working if I can just find Windows (non-Linux) software that will install the TiVo OS onto a drive smaller than 160gb.

I either need software that will let me install the TiVo OS onto a drive smaller than 160gb or software that will allow me to clone my current TiVo OS from a 256gb drive to a 128gb drive.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. Mar 1, 2016 #2 of 27
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are there any good deals on 160GB SSDs out there?

The people who could answer the question of whether it would be possible to get the HD to put up with any of the partitions being shrunk smaller than they are as the HD came from the factory are more likely to be found on another TiVo-centric site which I cannot (as in this site prevents it) name or provide a link to on this site.

If you could DEAL with searching google's DATABASE for another DOTCOM that deals with TiVos, you might be able to find it yourself, or you could PM me your email address.

3. Mar 1, 2016 #3 of 27
    imagine9

imagine9 New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Heya Unitron this site won't let me PM you because I have fewer than 10 posts, maybe you can PM me?

4. Mar 1, 2016 #4 of 27
    pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    If you could
    deal
    with reading between the lines, you'd find a
    database
    of useful information on
    dotcom
    websites.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  5. Mar 1, 2016 #5 of 27
    imagine9

imagine9 New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Yeah eventually figured that out from the previous message. Thanks will try it.

6. Mar 1, 2016 #6 of 27
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Is there a reason you didn't just type the site's name in complete form?

7. Mar 1, 2016 #7 of 27
    imagine9

imagine9 New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Unfortunately I registered on that site and they won't let me post in the forum. Must be some kinda waiting period or something.

8. Mar 1, 2016 #8 of 27
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    ************.com is censored on TCF

9. Mar 1, 2016 #9 of 27
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Do you know why?

10. imagine9

imagine9 New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    WHO CARES???? Can we actually keep the replies in this thread to the question I asked??? Geez open your own thread if you want your mundane questions answered.

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Sorry thread drift is a time honored tradition that I'm proud to be a part of :)

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    DDB goes further into extraction and PROM modding to disable content providers/cable companies being able to slap "No Copies" on recordings than TiVo is willing to be even tangentially associated with, and this site wants to maintain a good relationship with TiVo, and wants to avoid anyone being able to accuse them of aiding and abetting copyright infringement, "piracy", and buzzwords like that.

13. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
  14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I seem to remember reading something years ago about how the Apple Partition Map has stuff in each partition saying what size the next partition is and how big it is, or size and location of all partitions, I forget which, which would mean that the partitions that aren't the MFS pairs would have to be edited to reflect the smaller MFS partitions you'd need to, for example, put a 652 image on a drive smaller than 160GB.

Chances are good I learned that over at DDB and not here, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the two.

15. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The APM is ridiculously easy to edit compared to the MFS headers and bitmaps. It isn't even checksummed. MFS Tools 3.2, MFS Reformatter, and even WinMFS scrap the original partition table entirely and write their own.

16. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    ggieseke told you mfstools 3.2 might work. You can give it a shot but:...
    1) You can buy a hard drive for around $50. You can buy a small refurbished drive for under $20. You already have a 250 SSD working. You have to decide how much time and effort you're willing to invest for very little financial gain.
    2) Most people are interested in installing a larger hard drive then the unit originally came with, not smaller. You may be the first person looking to use a drive 128gb drive. Common tools like winmfs won't do what you want.
    3) The tools which might work are linux based. You'll use a boot CD (boot from a USB stick) into linux. I don't think many (any?) of the sATA to USB devices will work. That means you'll need to connect the drive you plan on using directly to the motherboard. Probably won't work with a laptop or mac.

17. imagine9

imagine9 New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Think I'm giving up on this and just leaving the 256gb SSD in there.

And just a heads up about that other site you guys referred me too...it seems like it's non-functional these days. It let me register but I got no confirmation email, I can't post to forums, and the contact page is a dead link, so you guys might not want to refer people to it anymore.

18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There's not a lot going on over at DDB just now, mostly talking about the new "n" software for HDs and HD XLs, but the most recent post is from only about 6 hours ago.

And you can always search the site for old posts related to your interest and learn a lot.

19. imagine9

imagine9 New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Must've been posted by a current member, new members like myself, can't post or contact anyone on the site about getting the ability to post.

20. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Will the continuous writing to the SSD, that the Tivo does, cause the SSD to fail significantly earlier than a spinning disk?