downloading copy protected shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DrNorm, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Dec 1, 2016 #1 of 95
    DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009

Advertisements

I have my old Series 3 box and finally upgraded to a Bolt. Along the way, I have saved a lot of crap but have collected a number of shows that I really would like to hold on to. I realize there is no longer any way to directly transfer shows from a Series 3 but it is possible to archive some of those shows to a PC before "decommissioning" the old DVR.

I have looked through his forum and learned about KMTTG and can certainly give that a go, except it appears that even KMTTG cannot download copy protected shows?

If this is true, is there any good workaround? I have multiple different pieces of software that can rip through any DVD and get around all sorts of copy protection so there has got to be "something" similar for copy protected TiVo recordings? There's really only about 1/2 dozen shows (e.g., some sports stuff) that I'd like to keep but it really would be nice if there were some reasonable way to do this.

Thanks.

2. Dec 1, 2016 #2 of 95
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Copy protection prevents copying, not much you can do other than look for the content from other sources.

3. Dec 1, 2016 #3 of 95
    DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I understand the purpose of copy protection- but there are MANY pieces of software (Handbrake, AnyDVD, MacX DVD Video Converter) that allow you to copy protected files for "personal archiving". I am willing to bet there is such a piece of software to access CP files TivO HDD's, as well.

4. Dec 1, 2016 #4 of 95
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Nope. TiVo recordings are encrypted using a chip on the motherboard. There is no way to crack them once they are recorded. There are hacks for older units that would allow you to disable that chip which would in turn make all recordings after the hack unprotected, but even with that hack there was no way to crack the recordings that happened before you disabled the chip.

5. Dec 1, 2016 #5 of 95
    thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs

Advertisements

Kills me - I have a Jimmy Buffett Gulf special on my old HD TIVO that I can't move off or move to my Roamio! Don't want to sell it but I don't want to have to activate the TIVO and all of that just to see it again ...

6. Dec 1, 2016 #6 of 95
    DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wow. Thank you for that. I don't know that I knew/remembered about the encryption. I had assumed it was encrypted by the provider? '

I still have a hard time believing that getting at the TiVo HDD directly would be not work? I say that because ANY encryption can be cracked (and, how is it played back if "encrypted" since it has to be decrypted to playable video format???)

Not very practical or elegant but there is also an easy hardware way around it which I used to use on occasion.... I attached a (Hauppauge) video capture/conversion device via an S-video or RCA cable from TiVo or VCR and then plugged that into a laptop via USB with video capture software. It captures in real-time so conversion is slow but it did do the job. Hauppauge still makes a number of similar products (Hauppauge Product Selector) and I imagine that one of these would work if deemed worth the effort/price.

Most of these hardware devices I can find convert analog video to digital- so you are certainly losing a lot of quality going from D -> A -> D but if you have something you really have to archive/convert (especially if converting from a VHS tape) then that is indeed a fairly inexpensive option but not what I am really looking for, here.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  7. Dec 1, 2016 #7 of 95
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It can't be cracked because the key used to encrypt/decrypt is stored on a physical chip attached to the motherboard of the TiVo itself. And every TiVo has a unique chip with a unique key.

8. Dec 1, 2016 #8 of 95
    DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Well, Dan. You're a Super Moderator, so I trust you got it right. Wow. I bought my first TiVo in 2001 and never realised that. I guess that leaves the "hardware route" except then you're stuck with composite or S-video analog quality. The fact that Series 3 were deactivated for TiVo Desktop only adds insult. Can't even (easily) get to my non-copy protected content.

Just curious- who decides what content TiVo CP's? I noticed it was primarily new-release, network TV shows. I seem to remember (back when could use Tivo Desktop) "local" news was not protected, some older, syndicated shows were not, etc.

9. Dec 1, 2016 #9 of 95
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Actually there is a way to copy copy protected content. I do it all the time. But, you need a DVD recorder, and, it will be in SD, not HD. You just play the content with composite outs to the DVD composites in. Not a fast process since you have to do it in real time. Then you can take the DVD to your PC and go from there.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hauppauge makes a device that can capture the HDMI output in HD. It's not cheap though...

Amazon.com: Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2 High Definition Personal Video Recorder with Digital Audio (SPDIF) and IR Blaster Technology: Computers & Accessories

Edit: Looks like the Rocket version can record directly to a USB drive, and is powered by USB as well, so it could be hooked up to a TiVo more easily for offloading your shows. About the same price though.

11. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    You can purchase an HD capture card for your PC - they work using the component analog outputs of the TiVo series 3 and will get you the 1080i HD quality. They are popular these days as they are often used to stream video games online.

Some even have HDMI ports that *may* work (I can't remember if HDCP is enforced - these capture cards do not work with HDCP).

So while it's less convenient, at least you can get it in as best quality as possible.

12. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    This one?

thewebgal likes this.
  13. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I am not sure what you really meant by this statement - actually directly copying programs from a S3 box either to your Bolt or a PC is quite simple - all except for the copy-protected ones, of course. The copy protected ones cannot be simply downloaded; they must be re-recorded from the playback output.

As stated by others, there are numerous hardware options that allow you to record the video output from the S3 device - some in SD and some in HD. I do a lot of recording of the component-out signals from various DVR boxes through a Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 box (older hardware). Those recordings are full HD, either 720p or 1080i. Unfortunately, the cost of any of these options really does not make sense for just a few recordings, even if you do not mind the learning curve. Everything has to be recorded in real time, and then usually edited some, so it can be a lot of work (especially if you want to remove commercials).

I would be happy to copy any of those programs for you and return them on DVD/Blu-ray discs or any desired PC file format, but even if you wanted to trust a stranger to do that, just paying shipping costs for the box to and from me probably does not make any sense. It all depends on how bad you want to keep them. Good luck in your search for a solution.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I also really liked that special and had it on "KUID" on my old TiVo HD, now sold. I didn't bother to try to save off the recordings from that box so .... gone. But I'm cheap so wouldn't pay more than a few bucks to get a copy.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    That's one of 19 songs from that concert available from "parrot head" on YouTube. Just search "Jimmy Buffett Gulf Concert". I liked the way he personalized them with adlibs, and the enthusiastic crowd scenes.

16. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Actually, TiVo does not decide to CP anything - that is done by a CP flag that the broadcaster/cable company decides to include in the source signal. While all programs on a TiVo device are encrypted so they cannot be shared with other devices not on the same account, that is not the same thing as copy protection. Normal encrypted but not copy protected TiVo recordings can be freely copied between any TiVo device or the TiVo Desktop software that uses the same Media Access Key, and once the files are on a PC, the TiVo "wrapper" is easily removed to make them just normal AV files.

BTW - TiVo Desktop still works just fine, even with your new Bolt.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You should never see protection on local network shows. It's actually illegal for cable companies to set the copy protection flag on those. If you do see local network shows protected you should report your cable company to the FCC.

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Actually there are several waivers for that and I believe NYC allows locals to be encrypted from one of the waivers.

19. westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    IIRC the guy who wrote requiem (software for stripping iTunes copy protection) back in the day also had a way to remove HDCP from an HDMI signal. Unfortunately his site is long gone.

I did find this, though. I guess it comes down to just how much you want to save that Jimmy Buffett video...

Tweaking4All.com - How to remove HDCP from HDMI signal ...

20. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I believe you and Dan are talking about 2 different things. As you indicated many cable companies have gotten permission to encrypt local channels, however that is not the same as what Dan is talking about, he is referring to the permission a cable company can set that tell a cable card DVR what restriction there are on recording a show and copying it to other devices. In any event I have no idea what the FCC rules say so I can not state anything other than what someone else (like Dan in this case) has said.