downgrading the bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by vascott1, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Aug 6, 2018 #1 of 36
    vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    I just got the new Bolt. I am in the process of moving all of my shows that can transfer. Which is most. The new interface is taking some getting used to. I have been with Tivo since the product was first sold. Still think it is the DVR to beat and nobody has done it yet.

My question is about downgrading. I am trying to stick to it but I find some things require more steps to move around and some I am sure just requires me to get used to it.

I have instructions I found here to "downgrade" to the old UI. I am just looking to solicit opinions and thoughts. Has any one done it and had it stick? I also read that some have done the downgrade to only have it switch back after a call to the mothership. If that is the case and every downgrade looses all of your programs this is the ONLY time to do it unless you keep your Tivo empty and with 3TB and 6 tuners OI doubt that will ever happen :)

What do I lose with the downgrade feature wise?

Thanks.

2. Aug 6, 2018 #2 of 36
    snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    If you're thinking of downgrading, you should stop transfers. The downgrade process wipes all recordings from the machine.

The problem with machines reverting back to Hydra after a downgrade has been resolved, and only impacted machines that were downgraded during a short window of time.

3. Aug 7, 2018 #3 of 36
    lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I only stayed with the "New Experience" for about 3 days and they changed it so much I had to downgrade today but I had no issues downgrading. It's so much better using the old interface. I don't know what's going on with TiVo but why would they not implement simple things on the new interface like sorting by channel number? I had to go back because I couldn't find other simple things easily like deleting a recorded show.

4. Aug 7, 2018 #4 of 36
    vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA

Curious what set of instructions you used. Does the voice command stuff still work? Not sure I would use it. Also, are the apps just as fast to load and i will assume 4k support is still there. I guess I still worry that once I revert back to the old interface will upgrades and any bug fixes stop? There are only a few things I would like to see changed and I would be happy since the old stuff is there, just hidden.

5. Aug 7, 2018 #5 of 36
    vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks. I was doing that since I wasn't sure but am finding that the transfers do not seem reliable. The first program I tried to watch just stopped midway through. I was reading about that before I started. Seems better way is to just play off the old device. Does anyone know if that can still be done AFTER the account as been cancelled on the old box? This was a lifetime transfer with the current deal.

6. Aug 7, 2018 #6 of 36
    lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    The instructions are from TiVo themselves as I guess they don't like the "New Experience" either. :)

How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

Yes, 4k support is still there.

7. Aug 7, 2018 #7 of 36
    snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    After the account is cancelled, you can still use the old box to watch recordings on a TV that is connected to the old box. You cannot stream recordings from that box to another TiVo/Mini.

8. Aug 8, 2018 #8 of 36
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Voice needs Hydra. The apps should load just as fast and 4k support is there in the few apps that support it. I would not expect a huge number of fixes to the old UI though unless something major as they are concentrating on the Hydra/gen4 code.

Scott

9. Aug 8, 2018 #9 of 36
    slyone

slyone Member

Jul 22, 2005
    I too just got the bolt/box & considering downgrading. can I upgrade back to hydra again if I so choose?

10. vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Was just wondering the same thing. I have been working on moving my recordings over since moving all at once leads to bad transfers. Not sure why but when you just select all in the web UI and select transfer, most, if not all the transferred recordings are broken. Oye. I am just conflicted about the new UI v. the old which I am so used to!

11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    If you have the VOX Remote, you can upgrade to Hydra by pressing the Mic buton

12. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    does the spsps code for quick. clear banner work on a bolt that's been downgraded?
    I can't get the clear banner quick code to work on hydra.

13. Richard Weinberg

Richard Weinberg New Member

Aug 10, 2018
    I just did it on my 500GB Bolt. It worked well and took about 15 minutes. As advertised, I lost all recorded programs, and also had to reset some user preferences.

14. Richard Weinberg

Richard Weinberg New Member

Aug 10, 2018
    In the Apps list, there is an item "Get New Experience". I assume this is an upgrade to the Hydra UI.

15. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    correct

16. vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks for all the good advice. I have decided to stick with Hydra for now. Mainly because Tivo has made transferring so much a PITA. Select all fails 90%+ and copying a few at a times take a few days. Just not willing to go through that again. I am getting more used to Hyrda but some of the changes they made are just stupid. One I notice this morning is when in what used to be Now Playing you used to be able to just hit play if you had one episode. Now you have to to hit OK and then hit play. Another useless step. Obviously they are treating it all like folders. Which I guess explains them taking away the folder icon. Many places you need to hit an extra key and the reliance on the back button is frustrating at best.

But, this is progress I guess and for those who have not been using Tivo for close to 20 years, I guess it fits the model UI that is expected. I can only hope that some of it changes and there is some bringing back of the older UI ways of doing things.

I can dream :)

PoohLuvsTIVO likes this.
  17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Just remember that more 99% of the time is spent viewing. :)

18. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I've been Playing some of my shows using the tivoonline.com site but it doesn't seem to be very dependable where it stutters and takes some time to work the forward and back. Anyone have some suggestions as to setting changes that might help? Prior to using tivoonline.com I used a Slingbox with my Premiere but they don't have the same connections (component) on any of the Roamio's or Bolts so I can't use the Slingbox anymore. I tried composite cables but that didn't work at all.

19. PoohLuvsTIVO

PoohLuvsTIVO New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    This is true however taking an existing OS and making it takes 2-3 more steps to do the same thing is inane! There is no reason to do this! Why they would screw up their entire OS just to add voice-control is stupid. I thought they would see how bad the new system was and correct it but apparently they have no plans to do so. I would tell any TIVO USER thinking of upgrading to the Bolt to not do it!

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I guess you don't care that it's not a Bolt issue? I use TE4 on a Roamio. I use TE3 on a Roamio. It's a choice.