Downgrade from Hydra without losing your shows?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by johnd01, May 9, 2018.

1. May 9, 2018 #1 of 18
    johnd01

johnd01 Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Sacramento ca

Advertisements

/

Is there a better way?
    Buy 2 or 3 Bolts 3TB Tivo Bolts, transfer all my shows and OnePass to them, roll back the software in my Romeo, transfer the shows back to Romeo and return the Bolts.

Is there a gotcha in there someplace? Does Tivo still have the 30-day return policy?
    There will be some shows that will not transfer and there will be some show that I choose not to transfer.

2. May 9, 2018 #2 of 18
    stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Is the same question posted in three threads really necessary? You have the same typos each time, do you manually type it out each time or just cut and paste?

jrtroo likes this.
  3. May 9, 2018 #3 of 18
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    If they are not copy-protected then transfer them to a PC using Pytivo Desktop, roll back, then load them back to the TiVo. . If they are copy-protected then you couldn't transfer them to another TiVo anyway.

4. May 9, 2018 #4 of 18
    johnd01

johnd01 Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Sacramento ca
    Sorry but yes...
    The first time I put it in a thread I put in the wrong thread. Then I found the thread I wanted it in so I copied it there. Then I was told there was a better way but it would be off topic so I started a new thread.
    I also sent it to Tivo support.

5. May 9, 2018 #5 of 18
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017

Advertisements

I'm sure "borrowing" 2 or 3 Bolts fits in their business model. :rolleyes:

CloudAtlas likes this.
  6. May 9, 2018 #6 of 18
    johnd01

johnd01 Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Sacramento ca
    To do that I would have to buy some Disk space. Can Pytivo store shows on 2 drives? I have not been able to get windows 7 to Raid 0 two USB drives. I do have a windows 10 laptop available but have not tried creating large drives on it.

7. May 9, 2018 #7 of 18
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You wouldn't need to have multiple drives abstracted as a single drive. Once downloaded to the PC via PyTivo (Desktop!), worst case, you can move video files to another drive to make space on the primary download drive. It'd be handy if PyTivo allowed for multiple storage locations, but I don't know if that's available. Storage Spaces on Windows 10 would allow for presenting multiple drives as one, and it may be preferable to using RAID if it allows for reverting to individual drives in the event of a drive failure. (RAID 0 striping would result in all content being snuffed on failure of a single drive.)

The PyTivo approach would be preferable both because it would be a valuable resource to have in place going forward, and it would allow you to avoid all the associated hassles with the proposed "temporary TiVo" solution.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    kpeters59 likes this.
  8. May 9, 2018 #8 of 18
    johnd01

johnd01 Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Sacramento ca
    If trapping us in the new UI is part of their plan then providing hardware to get us out should not be a problem. If I am the only one that does it that would not be a big deal but if most of the unhappy users did it they may get the idea to provide software to roll us back.

9. May 9, 2018 #9 of 18
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Just use Pytivo desktop and forget about using other TiVos. If one drive is getting full, simply move some of the files from the target drive location to another drive. Just reverse the process when you are done going back to the old interface. Why make it complicated?

jrtroo, kpeters59 and razor237 like this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    p.s. You'll also likely want to use KMTTG to backup and restore your OnePasses and other applicable settings.

kpeters59 likes this.
  11. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    You can also use kmttg to transfer the shows, too, it's not as user friendly by pyTivo simply doesn't work for some people.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    True, but I left that out since the stated goal was to also put the shows back onto the DVR ... and upload or streaming isn't supported by KMTTG.

Now if the OP were OK with using PLEX as a substitute for uploading the shows back onto the DVR, then PyTivo could be skipped ... leaving KMTTG to handle all the backups and PLEX the post-downgrade content access.

13. johnd01

johnd01 Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Sacramento ca
    I have not used PLEX. As I understand PLEX, I will sacrifice Tivo trip plays. I watch almost everything in FastMode. I do not get my shows back on TIVO but, would get another 8 to 16 TB of storage.

What about buying 2 or 3 6TB drives, copy the 6TB drive from one of my Premiers. Then I should be able to delete the shows on the new drive to make room to copy form my Romeo. When the drive gets full change drives and copy the next set of shows.
    Do you see any problems with that?

14. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Personally, I can’t understand what this plan is. I do think you can use DVRBARS or similar to copy a Premiere drive if that’s what you’re thinking of doing, but I don’t think you can put that drive into a different box. I did go back to your first post and YOUR SIG LINE! My god, you have one sh!t load of capacity on multiple TiVo’s. Maybe you need to clean house?

In any event, I’m not sure why you seem to refuse using Pytivo Desktop. It’s straight forward and simple. Just stick a 6tb drive in your pc and use Pytivo to transfer the files from the Roamio, roll back the Roamio, upload the files back to the Roamio.

kpeters59 likes this.
  15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. And even easier, just attach an external drive (via USB3, eSATA, Thunderbolt) as the download drive; and then swap it out for a fresh external when it fills up, using as many external drives as needed. And then reverse the process when restoring the shows post-downgrade.

16. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    i tried and tried to stick with hyrda... had to downgrade.

the inability to back out instead of hitting the tivo home button again, (you would think that if you moved right to go IN to something, you should move LEFT to back up)...

had a transfer problem as well.. other old ui's roamios, when i tranfered to the new hyrda roamio, the playback would stall about 45-50 minutes in. (apparently this is a known and frequent problem with hyrda interfacing with other older ui roamios)...

i just dont like the new layout. do not like moving left and right to scroll, id rather move up and down at the MY SHOWS section...

I am glad tivo gave detailed instructions on how to downgrade...

17. johnd01

johnd01 Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Sacramento ca
    If I could get my old setup back with all the programs I would have done it weeks ago. I am waiting till I have time to transfer gigabytes of shows to another tivo. I have received some extra drives to swap out so I do not lose what is on that tivo now.

18. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    try pytivo.. that's what i used and it worked great.