Downfall - BBOS?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by IndyJones1023, Jun 23, 2010.

1. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL

Advertisements

I can't quite tell if this show is sucktastic or not based on the first episode. I like trivia and the concept seems cool enough, but the execution is lacking. Who is that host guy? I've never heard of him before. He seems kinda lame for the task.

2. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    I believe he is a former wrestler.

It was an ok show. I will continue to watch just for the trivia aspect.

3. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    At least.....unlike Deal or no Deal........you need a brain and some trivia knowledge to do well.

4. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    He's a current wrestler. I forgot to check this out. Doesn't sound like I missed too much.

5. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...

Advertisements

This show was apparently sold to ABC based on a one-line pitch, before the producers had figured out exactly how they were going to pull it off. So your review is not particularly surprising.

6. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
  7. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Two episodes in now and I still can't tell if it sucks or not. I'm a big trivia buff, so I'll keep watching for that aspect. Really wish they would bring back the World Series of Pop Culture.

8. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    I give them credit for figuring out a unique twist on a trivia game show.

If Deal or no Deal can be a monster hit then anything can.

9. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The prize replicas they use almost look more expensive than the prizes themselves. And they need to have the rapid-fire questions on the screen as they're being read as opposed to approaching the on-stage display from a weird camera angle expecting the audience to be able to read it. By the time they're read and answered by the contestants, we've barely had time to orient ourselves to the question being asked.

10. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I've watched every episode so far and I haven't seen Hitler even once! WTF!??!

11. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I agree, they should have called it Over The Edge or Precipice or something else.

12. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Replicas: replicas of water bottles, aquariums, basketballs, etc.? really? I could see tossing over the shell of a car or piano or something though.

And yeah, I had to go look up the director (Russell Norman) as many of the shots, cuts, and timing seem "off". As you said, Neenah, when they start the round with the first question, he is often on that wide-angle shot and the answer is given before we see the question.

I'm also bothered by the slowness of the host asking questions in something as time-critical as this. Not to mention at the end of the rounds with the whole "Benjamin Franklin is correct! That's 7 of 10 answers you've gotten right so I can give the word to stop the conveyor belt now so nothing else goes over the edge so, uhm, okay boys, lets shut down the conveyor belt now." I don't think there's been anything close enough to matter yet, but it bugs me. :)

Oh and stop with the false drama of "even though you're now guaranteed $25,000 do you want to go for $50,000? Let's find out after this not-at-all expected commercial break!"

Finally, looking at the payouts, you have to risk your $250k for the million dollar round which is 10 for 10 and if even if you win, it's paid in 40 annual installments. Grr.. I have a tendency to over-think and over-analyze these things.

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I caught a little of one episode this week... I was surprised at Chris Jericho. I'm so used to him in "wrestler" persona that he was almost a completely different person in "game show host" persona... he's so NORMAL here.

14. Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    I saw part of this playing on a TV at a restaurant a few days ago. The one thing that I thought was funny was them describing a 100 foot tall building as a skyscraper...

15. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I bet there is already a Youtube vid up on this celebrating the suckitude so no worries...

16. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, I just watched the second episode and it's sucktastic. The direction is horrible, the host is unpolished, and the game is impossible. The items start far too close to the edge. I might keep the season pass just to FFW to the actual questions for the trivia aspect of it.

17. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Before I clicked on the thread I thought about my feelings on this show. Surprisingly, I've seen my sentiments reflected in the responses. I have always liked Chris Jericho, but didn't know who the host was before I watched the first episode.

I like the idea of trivia shows, but this one seems too light on the trivia and the way the show goes it's just not worth it to me. I've got so much stuff building up on my DVRs that I just can't justify devoting time to this - I just don't find it that entertaining. I deleted my SP after the first ep.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It is pretty bad, and I admit I am mostly watching faster-than-realtime on my non-Tivo, but very often you hear other sounds on top of the contestant trying to give the answer.. (so I have to back up)

Plus, what's the point of the contestant risking their cherished item (whatever term they use) vs. having the friend on the treadmill??? The only thing that happens to the friend is they get hung by a support rope... ooh scary..?!?!?!

19. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    The prizes on the belt are just to keep the tension up while waiting for the money to hit the edge. The quiz is too fast to ever let anyone past $25,000 without a couple of do overs. They could have gone with two friends or two cherished items, but then the player either gets too much assistance or none at all.

Some of the replica prizes are obviously cheaply made and others are pretty much the prize described but they just put whatever on the belt that makes the coolest crash. Like all those water bottles.

20. Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003
    Tried to watch an episode last night and didn't make it past the first 30 minutes. The trivia aspect of it was OK, but the overall execution was pretty bad. After a few minutes of watching things go over the edge, I was done.