Double the pleasure

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sharhart, Nov 18, 2005.

1. sharhart

sharhart New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I am hooked up to a home network and can easily transfer shows from my living room to the bedroom. My parents saw this feature I have and now they want a second TiVo so they can do the same. The difference is that their TiVo is hooked up to a phone line and they won't be able to network to a pc. Would getting a second TiVo and running an ethernet cable between the two allow them to transfer or do they need to network them with a pc? They'd have the new one hooked up to the phone line in the bedroom so it woudl still be able to get the daily updates.

Thanks!

2. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Ive got my two units networked...without a PC....using wireless network adapters.

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Is that the only way to do it?

Would it be possible to hard wire connect two TiVos together? (Mine are series 1's.)

4. cpmomcat

cpmomcat New Member

Nov 7, 2003
    New York
    I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I have a 40 hr Humax Tivo w/DVD burner. I also have two standalone Series 2 Tivos in other rooms in my home. All of these communicate via wireless adapters without problem (except that the transfer is slow). I am stunned at how few shows the Humax will hold, and I would like to connect another standalone Series 2 to the Humax via the ethernet hardwire for extra storage. I intend to burn dvds of shows for my daughter (I send them to her in Europe) and then I would like to transfer the shows to the standalone Series 2 for storage until I am ready to watch them (making more room on the Humax to record shows to burn for my daughter). I would like to be able to watch shows on either the Humax or the standalone Tivo on the same TV. I don't need the standalone Tivo to record any shows from broadcast - just hold the shows I transfer to it from the Humax.

Does this make sense to anyone? Am I achieving my goal of more storage in a stupid way? Can I even do this? Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Catherine

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They have to be Series 2s.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, you can use a second box as repository of DVR recordings, bit it needs to be subbed too.
    If it is merely space you want, you should instead consider upgrading the HDD in the DVR you have now.

7. cpmomcat

cpmomcat New Member

Nov 7, 2003
    New York
    <<Yes, you can use a second box as repository of DVR recordings, bit it needs to be subbed too.
    If it is merely space you want, you should instead consider upgrading the HDD in the DVR you have now.>>

1. What do you mean by "it needs to be subbed too" ?
    2. How do I upgrade the HDD in the Humax Tivo w/dvd recorder?

I'm sorry to be so obtuse. All of this is very confusing to me.

Catherine

8. cpmomcat

cpmomcat New Member

Nov 7, 2003
    New York
    A reply to myself. I was just told by a friend that "subbed" probably means subscribed to the Tivo service. If that's what is meant, that is no problem. I have two machines with lifetime subscriptions.

I still need information on how to connect the Humax w/dvd burner and the standalone Tivo so that they both play on the same TV (and don't interfere with each other with regard to recording broadcasts). In other words, how do I make the standalone Tivo just a repository of DVR recordings that I can watch whenever we're ready?

The suggestion of upgrading the HDD in the Humax w/dvd recorder is of interest (and I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee to do this), but I don't have a clue how one goes about getting more memory. I've read a little about "hacking", but that is something I'd be waaaay too scared to attempt. I'm an extreme novice at this and I need the comfort of knowing that I have Tivo warranties to rely on.

Again - any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Catherine

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You network them, likely with a couple USB ethernet adapters and a crossover cable. You connect both A/V outs to your display, and set the remotes to not interfere.

See the upgrade forum for info on upgrading the drive.

10. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    For newbies the easiest, though not the cheapest, way to increase the recording capacity is to buy a larger, preconfigured upgrade drive from Weaknees or a similar company.

Open Tivo, remove old drive, drop in new drive and voila! An upgraded Tivo.

11. cpmomcat

cpmomcat New Member

Nov 7, 2003
    New York
    I just checked out Weaknees.com and I think that is exactly what I need. That sounds like a much better idea than attaching another Tivo (that way I can use my spare Tivo in my guest room). And I think my neighbor should be able to handle the installation of the larger drive - I am too scared to attempt that myself. Thanks so much for the suggestions. This is GREAT!
    Catherine

12. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    You might also want to consider buying DVD-RW discs so you can keep copies for yourself and then rewrite over them when you are done. I don't know what the cost-comparison is compared to upgrading the drive, but it does give you portability as well.