Double ads in the pause bar

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wmcbrine, Mar 31, 2011.

1. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    This is the first time I've seen this:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. rivered

rivered New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    If we were getting free service I can understand having ads but we are paying a bundle for this service. I think tivo should be sued for this crap.

3. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Sub scriptions rates.
    With ads $20.00
    With outs ads $30.00.
    Which would you rather pay.

4. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Where are you getting 20 dollars a month when the majority of TiVo owners pay far less then that?:confused:

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Just enter the S-P-S-P-S code and pause ads are no longer (until next reboot). One of my favorite S-P-S codes by far.

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Why don't you go ahead and get that started for us.

Because that's the going rate for a Tivo sub.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Maybe Tivo should try some no ad DVRs at $30 per month.

8. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Yes I know but on tivo web site if you buy a Tivo it $20.95. If you do no have another tivo.
    Should I write down some have $6.95, $9.95, $12.95 and lifetime plans. I do not what every one payment plan is. I just used the highest amount.

9. Apr 2, 2011 #9 of 32
    LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I only have one tivo active, and I'm just playing monthy, my yearly contract ended years ago and i'm only paying the $12.95 rate

$20 sounds very high to me, unless that was the best buy premiere service rate

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    A little annoying but it doesn't prevent functionality, isn't intrusive into normal ops of the TiVo, and helps keep TiVo Inc afloat. I'll deal.

11. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Interesting, but it's not like you are forced to click the ad banner, or it autoruns, or infringes on the programming with crawl lines or pop-ups... I can live with that. Now, put that banner on the 30-second advance, and I'd be annoyed :eek:

12. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    IMHO, Tivo is just turning from the once beloved gas station attendant who checked your tires, cleaned your windshield and waved goodbye to you into the modern chore of a self serve gas pump that speakers blare loud deodorant commercials at you as you wearily pump your own gas at 6 in the morning. It's inevitable. Nothing can be enjoyable forever, just enjoy what you have now before it gets much worse. And no doubt about it.. it will get much worse.

13. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I'm in Oregon, where we simply legislated that consumers are not allowed to pump their own gas. No self service gas pumps here. If the government can solve that, then surely they can legislate for us an ad free Tivo!

Seriously though, the human brain is very adept at filtering out crap that we don't care about. Pause ads annoyed me for the first week or so. At this point, I don't even notice them. Not even the Premiere's discovery bar ads. It's all filtered out. I don't believe I've ever clicked any ad on the Tivo, so I don't even know what they do. A wonderful investment (tax write off?) of someone's advertising dollars.

For me, the line is drawn at the point when ads are inflicted on me when I'm watching a program. That'll be the day the Tivo goes in the dumpster.

14. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Getting back to the original comment the OP made. Yes that is a fluke. There should be only one at a time.

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Press DOWN to hide extras

16. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    ... every single time you watch a different program.

That aside, they just don't bother me.

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm not so sure that it's a fluke. I think it's probably the new normal.

18. audioscience

audioscience OG Lurker

Feb 10, 2005
    New England
    All of the above. Nothing that small has ever bothered me.

I don't think I've ever once clicked on a Tivo ad by the way and just filter them out.

What bothered me more was how long the info screen lingers on top of the screen every time you change a channel (and how large it is). Luckily there is a shortcut to get rid of that so I don't see it all the time

19. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Best chuckle of the day. :up:

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's crap. With ads it's more like $500 - $600 a month. Of course TiVo's piece is only $30, but you are going to have to pay that whether TiVo gets the money directly from you or from advertisers who charge you the extra $10. People need to stop and think. The only way those advertisers are going to pay TiVo $10 a month is if they are absolutely sure they can get more than $10 in additional revenue from every TiVo owner (on average) than they would get from every TiVo owner without the ads. An individual TiVo owner can avoid the extra fees by not buying any of the items advertised on the TiVo, but it makes no difference. The items they buy instead still pay for advertising, whether it is Xbox, Toyota, or a tomato from the local grocery store. Ad supported merchandise never costs you less. It always, without fail, costs you more. Usually quite a bit more.

$30. Happily. Heck, make it $100. It is still cheaper than paying for all the ads. Even if it were more expensive, however, I would happily pay more so that my money goes to the people whom I choose to get my money, not those who steal it from me.