Doom Patrol

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mr.unnatural, Feb 24, 2019.

1. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I just watched the first episode of this show and have the 2nd episode ready to watch. This is one of the new shows that are available from the DC Universe streaming service. There's some information on it in the new shows thread.

I caught the episode of Titans where the Doom Patrol was introduced and I was eager to see their own series when it aired. I have to say it's pretty good so far. Both Doom Patrol and Titans are definitely more adult oriented and use a lot of strong language throughout with some brief nude scenes as well. Definitely not for young kids.

Titans was a great show and was far more violent than I would have expected. The one episode of Titans with Minka Kelly is worth binge watching the entire series (you'll know which one I'm talking about when you see it). The show is still good even without that. The final episode of season 1 was a bit of a shocker, but I don't know if it follows the comics or not because I haven't ready any DC comics in decades.

I was surprised to see that two of the characters are voiced by Brendan Fraser (Robotman) (who is not looking particularly good these days) and Matt Bomer (Negative Man) from White Collar. The actual characters are played by different actors with voice overs as there are flashback scenes for each of them in their former lives. Timothy Dalton plays the Chief and is the leader of the group. Apparently there are more characters to be introduced than the four that showed up in the pilot episode so I'm looking forward to seeing how this series progresses. I'm already looking forward to the next season of Titans.

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I swapped out the $8/mo I was wasting on the Amazon Music subscription I never used after the first week for DC Universe. There's only two episodes so far but Doom Patrol is definitely worth the switch. Definitely more adult oriented than I expected. Weirder, too. I just wish DC Universe had a larger selection of shows I'd like to watch. I'm not big on cartoons.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I liked Titans a lot...but so far I like Doom Patrol even more!

In the ATM scene, for a moment I thought/hoped/prayed they were introducing Danny the Street, but I guess that would be too weird even for this show... :D

I love the Alan Tudyk narration. Very self-mocking meta-commentary on the superhero genre.

4. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I refuse to watch tv on my phone, iPad or desktop computers so I had to buy a Roku to get DC Universal. Jeez, in about ten years tv is going to cost me almost as much as my mortgage.

5. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Well that may be true, but I don't think the Roku purchase is going to be the thing that pushes you over. I'm assuming that the Roku cost less than your phone, Ipad, or desktop computer. :)

6. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    My poorly worded insinuation was that all the separate streaming services and cable networks I'll have to subscribe to in order to watch everything I want to watch are starting to add up.

7. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I know what you mean. It seems like most services or prime cable channels offer only one or two flagship programs that are of any interest. I can't see myself subscribing to a service just to watch one or two 10-13 episode seasons per year. I believe Amazon picks up a lot of shows a few days after their original air date so at least you can get many of them from a single service, but I think they may also charge you a la carte for the episodes if I'm not mistaken. What ticks me off about some of the services is they they only offer the shows in stereo and not 5.1 audio. Even OTA programs are in 5.1 so WTF?

8. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I really wish I could binge this show. DC Universe's one episode per week policy is cruel and unusual punishment.

osu1991 and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  9. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    That's easy. Just record every episode and then binge watch it after the season ends. I get where you're coming from though. I watch so much TV that the shows all run together. By the time the next episode of a show airs I've forgotten what the previous week's episode was all about. I have to admit that there really aren't all that many shows that I get excited about and look forward to watching. Doom Patrol is one of the few shows that I actually look forward to. The other DC TV shows have become boring and not all that great anymore, although I enjoy Legends of Tomorrow because they don't take themselves so seriously like the rest of them do. I just hope I don't have to wait forever for the next season of Titans.

10. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I just hope DC Universe creates more new live action shows quickly. Titans and Doom Patrol are worthy shows but their roster is otherwise slim with titles I actually want to watch.

11. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I gotta say that the last two episodes (6 and 7) haven't exactly thrilled me.

12. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    They've announced that they'll have a new Swamp Thing series premiering on May 31st. There will also be a new series with Stargirl. Harly Quinn gets her own animated series starting this fall.

DC Universe’s Swamp Thing will premiere on May 31st

They may not have exactly been stellar, but still entertaining. It seems like Robotman running around yelling WTF is like DC's answer to "I am Groot."

I did enjoy the bit about the rat making Robotman go nuts. The talking cockroach is a hoot.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think this is one of the best shows on television.

And it sounds like they're actually going to bring in
    Danny the Street!
    Which I though would be too bonkers even for these people...

dianebrat likes this.
  14. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm not a comic book guy. I'd never heard of Doom Patrol before a couple of months ago during the one episode of Titans. The show is done very well but the last two episodes have been anti-climatic to me. And basically, I lose interest with the Rita subplots.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Doom Patrol has been one of the few things tempting me to sign up for DCU

16. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    First month is $.80 if you signup before 4/4.

dianebrat likes this.
  17. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Titans is good too.

18. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought Danny Patrol was a very good episode.

I thought Jane Patrol was a GREAT episode.

19. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Good, but very disturbing, which is outside the lighthearted norm of the show. Not that I didn’t enjoy it, but man was that dark.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    "Lighthearted norm of the show"?!?

Have you actually been WATCHING?!?!? ;)