Don't suppose anyone wants to lend me the Torchwood DVD's if I pay for shipping?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrdazzo7, Jun 19, 2011.

1. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I don't suppose anyone w/ the Torchwood DVD sets (all three seasons) would want to loan them to me if I pay for shipping through paypal? Not sure if this is a weird request or not but figured it was worth a shot... I obviously would understand someones reservations but I think this a pretty tight community and I've been posting here for years so I know I'm legit!

I just don't have the money to go out and buy them all especially since i'll just watch them once and be done. And my plan was to just rent the discs from Blockbuster online but for some reason each disc only has 2 episodes so it's like 15 discs between all the seasons, and I just don't have the patience for that since I moved and moves now take 3-5 days instead of 1-2.

So anyway I figured if someone on here had them laying around and had a paypal account I could send a few bucks for shipping, etc. This way I don't have to worry about downloading and transferring them so I can watch on TV (in significantly inferior quality) or anything. I'm trying to get done in time for Miracle Day but I expect some overlap.

Seen four episodes of season 1 so far, and really into now.

2. DVDivo Tim

DVDivo Tim Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Looks like Netflix has them in HD via streaming, if you can access that.

3. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    dont have netflix. I had a trial a few months ago but they didn't really have anything I wanted to watch. I wonder if I can do a new trial... When you stream stuff do you have to watch it right then? I'd rather just have the dvd's if possible so I can watch on my laptop also

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Why not just pay for a month or two of Netflix? It will cost you just as much to ship DVD's back and forth.

5. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Netflix is $8 a month and I use the hell out of it.
    Super value, and Torchwood is a big part of that :D

6. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    Maybe I'll try it again but when I had it before every movie I wanted to stream wasn't available either because BB had exclusive rights to it for 30 days or some other reason, so I found it pointless. I usually have no problem renting TV shows but like I said, for some reason they split the discs up in a stupid way. My only guess is that there are a ton of special features for every episode because I"ve never heard of a 7 disc set for a 13 episode season! Seasons of 24 were 7 discs.

Can you explain how the streaming works then? I will likely use it through my PS3 but I guess it works though Tivo also? when you watch TW specifically si there tons of delays and stuff? I'm always worried because I can only do it over wi-fi and I know there can issues with that too. I guess I'll try the trial again.

I wish Blockbuster's streaming wasn't pointless.

7. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001
    IF you have Amazon Prime, Torchwood streams for free.

8. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I can't help you there- I have a Roku box, also wi-fi.
    But nothing ever stutters or pauses.
    Well, except MLB, but that's something else entirely.

I have Amazon Prime as well, but until they implement some sort of queue it's too hard to navigate.

9. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Think of it as on demand. You click what you want to see and it starts right away. I've never had any delays when watching from home, but I have a pretty fast interent connection.

I've tired Netflix streaming from hotels and there I've had delays, so it very much depends on your internet connection.

10. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    ok I'm with you on this streaming thing... doing it though the tivo now and it's INFINITELY easier than the method I was using before. Plus the HD is nice (I'm turning into a PQ snob and watching fragmented, distorted downloaded eps was getting tired).

The only complaint I have right now is the connection issue. I watched an episode before and it stopped to buffer probably four or five times, and now I'm on the next episode and it's stopping what seems like every five minutes, and twice it has jumped to lower quality then back to HD. There's nothing I can do either since the router is with the people upstairs. I guess I can try to move my network adapter and see if that gets me anywhere.

Still, big ups on the suggestion. I was turned off to streaming when they didn't have any new releases but I didn't think about using it to watch series I'd missed out on. This is great because I was all depressed since I only have two or three shows to watch this summer and now I have 30+ eps of TW and 26 of Justified, so I'm good 'til september. Although nothing tops last summer when I discovered Chuck and then Sons of Anarchy.

11. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Mm. Personally I think Justified > SOA and TW > Chuck (although there's not as much TW), so IMO this summer should be better than last summer!! :)

I agree with you about the stutter, we get that too but normally just on a Friday or Saturday evening. I read somewhere that 20+% of internet traffic on weekend evenings is Netflix streaming traffic. Take that RIAA!

I did drag out a little hub I had in the basement and hooked up directly instead of wireless and the connection was better but still not perfect--my wireless router is about 15 feet straight-line from my TiVo (in the study) so I wasn't expecting much.

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I was Netflix streaming on my Blue Ray player before I got the TiVo Premier and I would actually pause the show for a few minutes to let things buffer some when I had issues with it stopping to buffer. I was using a wired versus wireless set up, so don't know how much difference that would make. (Comcast internet).

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ?!?! So, rent the DVDs one at a time?! What's the big deal?

14. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006

15. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001
    I've streamed Torchwood with both Amazon and Netflix. My experience with Amazon's PQ was much better and I had only one buffering issue. Netflix - many issues with streaming and lots of pixellation. However, Netflix lets me add the show to my instant queue - Amazon doesn't have any queue options yet, so I'll stick with Netflix.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I know what you said, but you want to watch them, so just renting them seems to be the best solution.. and if there are tons of extras, all the better.