Don't see the skip mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by John7777, Jul 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Just got the OTA and as of yet, I don't see where the commercial skip symbol is for the network shows, or any shows. I gave it some time but still no sign of it. Am I missing something? Also dissapointed to see that my premiere will not transfer to the roamio. I get the circle with a slash through it, but the software seems to be the right one.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its not the software that is preventing you from transferring shows.

You need to go to your tivo.com account, make sure the Roamio is subscribed, Under DVR Preferences, make sure the transfers/sharing boxes (all) are checked. Check them if not and click Save at the bottom. Next, force Tivo Connections on both Tivo boxes (settings/Network.) They should have the same Media Access Key (MAK.) A reboot may be need after.

3. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Will do. Thanks very much!

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Are your shows on the Premiere OTA as well? If they are cable, some providers are worse for setting copy protection on many channels.

Scott

5. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    No, both are OTA. I think I have to give it more time and get more shows recorded. I just tested it with a newscast, but I heard that local news won't work for skip mode.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My response and quote was regarding the error that you are seeing on trying to transfer shows. Log into your TiVo account and check the device preferences for both TiVos and make sure that Video sharing is checked.

Scott

7. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Oh, sorry. The transfer and streaming is working now. And the skip mode will be more likely after I get some more prime time stuff during the week. (I hope)

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I was surprised that my sister recorded a CBS soap around noon on Friday. After a few hours it had SM. Pick any repeat tonight on a major network and it should have SM quickly. Like NCIS:LA.

9. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I recorded 60 minutes tonight and after it was over, it was probably five minutes later, the skip mode symbol showed up next to it! That's a relief and I know that is going to work out great for us. Have a good one!

10. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    SM changed the way we watch TiVo!!!

11. wtkflhn

wtkflhn Member

May 12, 2006
    Metairie, La
    If the soap is "Young & the Restless", that is the only soap to get "SM', unfortunately. The TIVO SM policy. Entertainment shows between 4pm and midnight get SM. In some markets, Y&R is tape delayed until 4pm. So it gets SM, but you have to wait until after 4pm Et, to get it. I think it's worth the wait.

Mikeguy and JoeKustra like this.
  12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, this is a recent change, isn't it? The fact that skip mode will be enabled on recordings made on Tivos NOT with skip mode? (e.g. I transfer from my P4 to my Roamio, and will get skip mode.)

It still won't work with shows transferred to computer, right? I guess I should try at some point.

13. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    They only thing better than skip mode is skip mode with automatic skip mode running. (Short version - you can have a computer know when a commercial break starts, and then send the skip command automatically, so that you don't have to press Channel Up or D yourself).

14. randywalters

randywalters AVS Old Timer

Oct 21, 2003
    El Segundo,...
    Back in the 90's, the higher-end Panasonic VCRs had what they called "Commercial Skip" that automatically skipped past commercial breaks without me having to press any buttons. It worked great. I'd love for Tivo to have that.

15. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    TiVo does have that via KMTTG.

kpeters59 likes this.
  16. davidsf

davidsf New Member

May 27, 2005
    California
    What is KMTTG?

17. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    kpeters59 likes this.
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It should be noted that since this comment was posted, nearly a year ago, TiVo has also started a beta project for IFTTT to enable automatic commercial skipping -- though AutoSkip is currently only available for boxes running the Hydra (TE4, gen4) UI.

See: IFTTT Apps for Tivo