Don't Forget the Lyrics 7/11/07 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jul 12, 2007.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Really, no thread at all? For those who watched The Singing Bee, I thought this one was much better, although it definitely lends itself to the FF button like many of the new crop of game shows. However, the format seems much more refined and thought out than The Singing Bee, which seemed rather hastily thrown together (which it was).

Basically, it's like the recent slate of game shows, where each question is worth an increasing amount of money. After the fifth question, they've earned $25k and they then can't leave with less than that. If the contestant gets 10 correct in a row, they win $1 million. There are nine styles of music and the contestant picks a style for each question. Then two different songs from that style are shown and the contestant chooses which they feel they know better. Then the music starts and they have to start singing along. The segments of music they have to sing are much longer than on The Singing Bee, and then at some point the music stops and they have to get the next four* words correct. *As the value of the questions increase, the number of words that must be correct also increases. There are three "Backups" (lifelines) which the contestant can use at any time. If the contestant gets all nine styles of music correct, they will have won $500k and will then have a chance to risk it all on the $1 million question.

The next episode of Don't Forget the Lyrics is on again tonight (Thursday, 7/12/07) for those of you who missed it.

2. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I thought it was much worse. The standard Who Wants to Play another stupid Ladderboard game show backdrop. Stupid saves. Stupid having to listen to people sing for WAY TOO LONG.

I was out on Jeremiah was a Bullfrog.

I think the other show is better simply because in 2007 that format is not tired like this one is.

As soon as they started going into how she could get help, and they waited WAY too long to create suspense, and asked her 10 times to verify her answer.. I wanted to kill myself.

At least the NBC show I got to go through a bunch of songs in a relatively quick and up-tempo experience. This is a dragging experience that misses the point as to why someone might want to watch a show like this. People want to hear the songs and the lyric stuff, not the phony suspense, stupid saves and al the time waste they put into climbing up a ladderboard.

3. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I agree about the fake tension and the dramatic pauses, etc. Those are totally unnecessary. However, that's why I have TiVo. As soon as she sang the words, I FF'd until I saw if the words turned green or not. Didn't care about anything in between.

Overall, I liked the structure of the FOX show better, but I do agree that they need to speed it up and get more songs in the time allotted. After all, that's what people are watching for, not the artificial drama. If FOX can speed the show up to get in more than 6 songs in 30 minutes, I think their format overall is better, since it has a defined goal for the contestant. The NBC show just seemed like everything was "from the hip," as if Joey Fatone was making it up on the spot and the contestants had no idea what they were playing for.

4. laststarfighter

laststarfighter New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    30 mins and they couldn't even get through ONE contestant. There was like 5 mins of actual content in the whole show. I spent more time FF than actually watching. This is definitely a TiVo only show, but then again, do you really want to record it?

The Spelling Bee has many flaws but at least it moved along.

Bring back Name that Tune. That show is still x100 better than both of these shows combined.

5. Indiana627

Indiana627 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Vestal, NY

Advertisements

Our Buffalo CBS affiliate is owned by LIN. I found this page on LIN's site and have been emailing the PR contact each week basically asking "Why won't LIN allow Directv to carry their HD signals?" I've gotten no response, but I'm definitely not going to get a response if I don't email her.

Maybe if more people affected by LIN emailed her, she would at least reply or pass the emails on to people who make the decisions.

http://www.lintv.com/contact/contact_us.html

(And sorry Courtney - I don't blame you, but you are the PR contact listed.)

6. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    The thing about the dramatic pauses on these shows that really pisses me off, is that they know it pisses me off and they do it anyway! They'll say something like "America here are the results you have been waiting for, the winner...is...going to be announced after the break! You knew we were going to do that didn't you! (wink-wink) We'll be right back!"

Grrrr. They know they're pissing us off and they joke with us about it! :mad:

7. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I dunno, I thought it was better than SB. And I enjoyed the fact that you get to choose the genre. I also enjoyed the "decision" factor on whether to go for it or walk away.

Maybe that has more to do with the fact that I haven't seen all the "bracket and decision" game shows.

Big :thumbsdown: on the fact that they used an actress. Maybe she wasn't an actress but she was definately coached. She pondered over the "How do I live without you" lyrics? Come' on, she knew she got it righ. I've heard that song maybe 2-3 times and I know she got it right.

Overall, it was okay, I will watch again. I can't say the same for the Singing Bee.

8. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    WTF? How in the world does this relate to this thread?

9. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Some things are better left unanswered. :rolleyes:

10. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003

:confused: :confused:

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I too think this shows was MUCH MUCH better than the other one. They could both be cancelled tomorrow and I wouldn't really care, but this was much better from a game show perspective.

This one had comparatively less fluff, IMHO.. but yet again, I watched both of these on my Toshiba player where I could ff through the semi-fluff with sound on... and I still think I ff-ed through some more stuff to skip.