Done with TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by orionprime, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Sep 4, 2019 #1 of 65
    orionprime

orionprime New Member

Jan 6, 2008

Advertisements

I've been a TiVo customers since the first series 2 units became available and I'm used to TiVo promising fixes and features that never come to pass but the absolute bungling of suggestions has forced me the throw in the towel. Hydra is a mess, and they're more interested in shoving ads and sponsored content down your throat than restoring functionality that the units have had since the early days.

I hear that they've got a new box coming out and for the first time, I'm going to pass. It's been a fun ride, but there's no point buying something upfront that's no better that what the cable company will rent you month to month.

2. Sep 4, 2019 #2 of 65
    gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    Sounds like you upgraded to the bolt. Go back to the roamio and all your dreams come true.

TishTash, unclehonkey and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  3. Sep 4, 2019 #3 of 65
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  4. Sep 4, 2019 #4 of 65
    ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Gilbert Arizona
    I freaking love my TiVo and can't breath without it.:)

Mark814, Willy92, kpeters59 and 3 others like this.
  5. Sep 5, 2019 #5 of 65
    mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

Advertisements

If you want something to reliably record your shows and change your channels you will not find a better DVR. Get a cable box. You may end up appreciating Tivo a little more.

Willy92, Steve, mattack and 3 others like this.
  6. Sep 5, 2019 #6 of 65
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Haha, that's funny. The pos DVRs that Charter wants me to use are garbage compared to my Roamio. Fewer tuners, smaller hard drive, no whole-home capabilities, no skipmode or quickmode, no streaming apps (eh maybe they have Netflix by now, I'm not sure). But even if a TiVo was no better, I'd still be financially better off with my Roamio and Minis than I would be paying Charter $50/month to rent their crappy boxes.

MikeBear, TiVo'Brien, Willy92 and 4 others like this.
  7. Sep 5, 2019 #7 of 65
    wbrightfl

wbrightfl Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Orlando,...
    I still have a Premiere and Roamio and love them. Both using the great older UI and could not be happier. I tried Hydra on my Roamio and agree it's a mess and wasn't for me, so reverted back. You do have options and you will not find any cable TV DVR which works as well as the TIVOs.

8. Sep 5, 2019 #8 of 65
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Or just rollback to Encore/TE3/20.*, assuming you don’t have a ‘BOLT OTA,’ the only TiVo box that requires Hydra.

edit: p.s. Chuckle.
    p.p.s. AutoSkip would now also be a casualty in a rollback from TE4.

jrtroo likes this.
  9. Sep 5, 2019 #9 of 65
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Another one-and-done drive by. OP don't let the door hit ya...

Willy92 likes this.
  10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Ads? I see no ads and I’ve been in hydra since the beginning.

Willy92 likes this.
  11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I noticed that TE4 doesn't seem to collect those gold start promos. Yet. Funny, since today my TE3 Roamio got MLB YouTube as an app. I killed it. On TE4 it also was loaded in apps, but when you select Sports, it doesn't display.

12. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    As someone who uses both a Tivo and the cable company DVR I'll tell its no contest. Tivo wins hands down.
    I have a Roamio and a TivoHD and right now the HD is hooked up to an antenna. The reason I use that instead of the Roamio is because there are only 2 stations total in my market (KEYC CBS & FOX). So even doing a comparison between the HD and the cable DVR is still a landslide.

The reason I have to use the cable company DVR is its a IPTV provider (thru internet) so have to use their product (cable and internet included in rent here so that's why I can't go with Charter)

TivoHD has 2 tuners and I put in a 1TB drive....cable has 2 tuners and 500GB drive
    TivoHD can skip ahead 30 sec and back 6 seconds....Cable is 30 seconds ahead 1 minute back
    TivoHD has "notches" where you can skip 15 or 30 minutes ahead....cable doesn't. So when I want to watch a 4 hour program to get to the end I have to hit skip oodles of times
    TivoHD has an automatic buffer so I could turn on the TV and the tuners Tivo is on it has been buffering....cable doesnt. It buffers when you turn the channel on
    TivoHD if you start a program and want to record it, it records from the start of the buffer....cable doesn't. It starts when you hit record. So if you have been watching something since top of the hour and hit record at 12 after, it records from 12 after to the end of the program
    TivoHD has extend program time for 1,2,3,5,10,15,30,60,90,180 minutes....cable is 1,5,30,60

On my Tivo if I have back to back shows same network if one is extended a minute longer the Tivo will grab the open 2nd tuner. cable won't. Even if I extend them both 1 minute it still stops at end time.
    Cable actually stops the program early (about 10 seconds early). I've recorded shows on both to test this theory and the Tivo runs 8-10 seconds longer.
    Tivo I can set to recored new only, new and repeats or all. Cable is new or all. This brings up an issue with conflicts. If a channel replays the episode later (especially on cable) and the first time its on there is a conflict, Tivo would grab the 1st replays as long as its the same OAD. Cable doesn't unless you say "all" (or for some reason the replay is still has a * in the guide which means new)...by the way this provider uses Rovi too

Tivo when it needs to change the tuner you're on to record something else it gives you the popup and if you do nothing it still changes the channel. cable if you do nothing it stays on what channel you're on and wont record the other program (basically being backwards of Tivo)

And the biggest thing for me..Tivo records the shows when they are on with no issue. The only time I've missed a recording is when there was no TV signal (or when there was conflicts but even when I had cable on the Roamio those were rare). I've had Consolidated out 4 times in 2 months because my DVR with them either wont record a show or stops early. And the sad thing is NOBODY can figure it out. Not tech help. Not even the techs. It just wont record and in the history it says "Interrupted" and gives a description that someone else interrupted the recording. Ummm I live alone and a few times its done this the unit has been off (yes you actually power this DVR off). Back to back recordings seem to be a crap shoot. I had recorded 90210 at 8pm and the new Dog the Bounty Hunter show on WGN. At 9pm I record the 9pm news on local FOX (so right after 90210)...didnt record...interrupted message.
    For a while my DVR hated NASCAR. It would record all the NASCAR stuff I told it to (pre-race, qualifying) but when the race would come on...INTERRUPTED. The workaround for this is I say start 30 minutes early (the pre-race is usually 30 minutes early) which rids of the "back to back" recordings. They've replaced the DVR twice now which of course made me lose all my recordings. Also it also just randomly stops when recording a sports event. Record the Twins game for 4 hours and it stops at 3:19 for example. So nothing sucks worse than coming home to watch it, start scanning through and the game runs long and **poof** program stopped in bottom of 9th when 4 hours would be fine.

On the positive for cable (if there is one) is I have a receiver in the bedroom and it doesn't take a tuner from the DVR. It has its own tuner and I can do multi room DVR. Only drawback again is the max I can do is 2HD and a SD. So if I'm recording 2 HD channels on the DVR the bedroom I can watch the 2 channels I'm recording or a SD channel (or a DVR program)...but not 3 HD channels.

Willy92 likes this.
  13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not saying I even disagree with the specific things you say... and this sort of parrots what someone else said..

For the actual "record TV shows" functionality, which is what they've had since the early days..

Are you going to be better with a cable DVR? I don't think so.

I honestly stuck with the old UI (non-Hydra) BECAUSE of some of these issues... and I definitely have some issues with the guide data since Rovi took them over (and renamed itself Tivo).. and the show downloading/streaming has for all practical purposes never worked for me..

(But to give something I'm VERY happy about, the secret ability to SPEED WAY UP QuickMode.. I now basically never use QuickMode slower than 1.5x, and I switch to 1.9x often.. like I've said otherwise, I watch the NON-performance sections of America's Got Talent episodes at 1.9x and watch the actual performance at normal speed.. though admittedly once in a rare while I fast forward through boring songs or something, but that's not changed since finding out this functionality.)

There are zillions of things I wish worked better on Tivo (esp the show streaming/downloading -- that's largely why I subscribed to any streaming services at all -- to use out of home -- but now I use them in home to watch shows commercial free but tivo them as backup). But for the basic DVR functionality, I haven't seen better.

kpeters59 likes this.
  14. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    IMO... ALL DVR's will be coming to an end in the next few years.

15. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    There will be OTA DVRs as long as TV stations keep broadcasting their signals in the clear.

ronv51 and kpeters59 like this.
  16. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    This one feature seems to be broken recently. I'm pretty sure recordings have only been started on the Tivo from when you hit record and it's not including the buffer. I feel like this has been going on for a few months and is fairly annoying.

17. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    What?? Based on what evidence? I see about 0% chance of that happening in the "next few years". The only way DVR's will ever go away, from a cable TV standpoint, is if the entire model of linear "live" TV channels goes away, in favor of a more on demand approach to cable similar to the likes of Netflix or Hulu. But there is no chance of that happening in the next few years. And as someone else pointed out, as long as OTA TV exists there will be a market for OTA DVRs. Amazon just introduced the Recast last year, so clearly they see potential for growth in this market.

Willy92, slowbiscuit and dishrich like this.
  18. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    Careful, *speculating* and WAGing will get you chastised around here now. :p

compnurd likes this.
  19. kokishin

kokishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Among other Tivo advantages, not having to pay Comcast perpetual rent for their inferior DVRs and Tivo's Autoskip make Tivo totally worthwhile to me. Autoskip is just an awesome feature!

Willy92, aristoBrat and kpeters59 like this.
  20. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015

PLEASE... keep that opinion to YOURSELF