Dolby Vision streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by JackF, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jan 5, 2017 #1 of 11
    JackF

JackF New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Can my Bolt+ stream Dolby Vision encoded content from, say, VuDu?

2. Jan 6, 2017 #2 of 11
    cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Nope the Bolt doesn't do any HDR or even 4K resolution for that matter.

It will never do Dolby Vision though because that requires a specific chip set.

VUDU UHD - Compatible Devices List

3. Jan 6, 2017 #3 of 11
    JackF

JackF New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Yes, for devices that will display DV encoded discs a chip is required. I'm not sure for STREAMING from the Internet. I'm pretty sure the top tier Rokus don't have a DV chip in them but can stream Dolby Vision media. (But I could be wrong.)

4. Jan 6, 2017 #4 of 11
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    As of right now Vudu DV is only supported with there software on certain TV's. No Streaming Devices. Most likely the bolt when Vudu gets off it's ass will support UHD and HDR10 from Vudu

5. Jan 6, 2017 #5 of 11
    cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Hmm, okay maybe there is no DV chip per se but here's Vizio CTO talking about building DV into there sets. A lot of what he talks about is the processing required to display the image but in the last paragraph he does say:
    I just don't think we'll see DV in the Bolt line. Maybe HDR10 if TiVo decides it's important to their product lineup. Hard to imagine they ignore it forever... Also can confirm the Roku line is HDR10 only. I purchased a Premiere+ briefly to use with my Vizio P series.

6. Jan 6, 2017 #6 of 11
    compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    I doubt right now HDR10 apps have anything to do with Tivo.. Amazon, Netflix and Vudu are very slow and picky about which devices are getting that support right now. The PS4 Pro is still waiting on Amazon 4K apps/Vudu and Netflix HDR support. The Xbox one S just got Vudu UHD and Amazon UHD

7. Jan 6, 2017 #7 of 11
    JackF

JackF New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Thank you for your reply..., and understanding my question.:)

compnurd likes this.
  8. Jan 6, 2017 #8 of 11
    JackF

JackF New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Yeah, I just saw that on my Xbox however Amazon doesn't make UHD/HDR material very evident if at all. Netflix is the best in this regard though there are differences between Xbox One S's Netflix app versus the Bolt+'s.

BTW, I finally got my free copy of a Dolby Vision encoded version of Mad Max: Fury Road to be displayed using my TV's Vudu's app and however jaded I may be, I must say that it looks stunning.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  9. Jan 6, 2017 #9 of 11
    compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    No on Amazon you have to dig for the 4K shows... Although on my 2015 Samsung TV they just updated the app so the HDR badge is more visible but it is only on there shows right now

There is differences between the Netflix App on my TV/PS4 Pro and Tivo also.. Even between the Vudu app on my TV and PS4.. These guys suck at consistency

There was talk in the Vudu forums that a UHD app coming to Tivo was coming soon.. But they just started to support devices other than Roku and Vizio... The LG Line and 2016 Samsung TV apps just got released

JackF likes this.
  10. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    I thought the Bolt did Netflix 4k, just not HDR?

11. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Poorly worded, I was talking about Vudu only