Dolby Digital Sound

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by brightonjohn, Apr 18, 2011.

1. brightonjohn

brightonjohn New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Just had to do a re-start (from the menu) to get the Dolby Digital Sound to work - for some reason it had stopped working and the normal setting for Audio made no difference to it.

Anyone else had this problem tonight or at all?:confused:

2. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Not tonight no but I have had to reboot about 3 times so far specifically because of this problem.

3. stixe

stixe New Member

Nov 13, 2002
    aylesbury,uK
    It happend to me a couple of weeks ago accused the kids of fiddling with the amp before reboot. I have had to reboot mine 3 times in the month and half I've had it keep getting message saying channel line up not found but if I delete it it goes away for a few days.

I am loathed to do anything about it as otherwise the box is proving excellent not one missed recording the suggestions are getting better.

4. Johnny_boy

Johnny_boy New Member

Nov 19, 2000
    Edinburgh,...
    I'm getting popping noises from mine, I've had to turn on Dolby to PCM in the settings as it's really annoying every time I'm on an HD channel and press guide or change channel I get a loud squeal or speaker pop. I've had it less than 24 hours but this is apparently a known bug according to customer services. I've rebooted a couple of times but to no avail.

This happens over HDMI as well through the telly.

5. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I've never had such a problem via optical in DD mode.

6. Mimizuku no Lew

Mimizuku no Lew Rattus Sapiens

Jan 3, 2011
    I think it's caused by the audio switching from DD to PCM when you change to an SD channel. Some Sky viewers reported a similar problem during the last NFL season when the broadcast on Sky Sports HD went to commmercial and switched from DD to PCM. It only affected some TVs and receivers though.

7. Johnny_boy

Johnny_boy New Member

Nov 19, 2000
    Edinburgh,...
    Well this is bizarre! I reconnected the sky+ hd back up and had a fiddle with the telly settings and turned off Simplink on my LG telly (i saw a link elsewhere about this caising issues with no signal on video) and now I'm getting perfect Dolby and no popping. I'd switched inputs on the amp to get the Sky working but nothing else and this was only happening on the TiVo on Dolby mode but over HDMI as well so it was originating in the TiVo rather than the amp. Not sure exactly what I did but it's now working. I'll keep the engineer appointment on Monday and see how it goes between now and then.

Simplink on or off is making no difference. Wondering if some kind of audio loop was stopping the Dolby circuit kicking in....