Dolby Digital from TivoHD, but not from TV to Receiver

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Microman66, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Microman66

Microman66 Member

Nov 28, 2004
    I was trying to troubleshoot the audio syncing properly.

When I hook up the Tivo HD with HDMI to my tv it work great. All in sync when I listen to the TV speakers. If I also have the Optical out going to my Receiver it will sometimes be a lot and sometimes a little "out of sync"

Someone suggested just taking the optical out of the TV and going to my reciever, but now it does not decode as Dolby Digital. Just Pro Logic..

Maybe my TV doesnt pass the D.D. thru the optical out? Looked for settings, TV, and TivoHD, but tv doesnt have anything, and TivoHD is set to Dolby Digital.

Thanks.

Need to read thread at AVS about synching, maybe that will have some thoughts.

I like D.D. better, seems to make the Sub Woofer stand out.

2. wbertram

wbertram Member

Jun 14, 2002
    When two devices (say a TV and a DVD or a TV and a TIVO-HD) are connected via an HDMI interface, the two devices negotiate the means by which they will exchange information.

Most, if not all, HD TVs tell the source (DVD or TIVO-HD) that they have "Stereo Speakers", and the source then sends Stereo to the TV.

This is unfortunate, since the TVs have the capability of receiving 5.1 audio and internally converting it to stereo for the internal speakers, or sending it out over the optical connection as 5.1 to an audio system. They do this for programs received from their internal ATSC or QAM tuners.

Bad design decisions by the TV designers!

3. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    How about one of these two methods? If I'm missing something, please let me know.

1) From TiVoHD just connect the optical cable to the Reciever.

Depending on the HDMI exchange, audio from the TV can sometimes be slightly out of sync to what the reciever gets. This is usually the case with HDMI 1.2 or less. Heard that HDMI 1.3 is suppose to fix this...don't have personal knowledge.

Fix: Mute the TV, turn up the reciever....if the sync is not good with the video try #2.

2) Don't use HDMI, use Component and standard stereo rca cabling the TV, and optical to the Receiver...should be able to stay in full sync this way, even with the TV unmuted. TiVoHD can only pump out 1080i, so the picture should be the same.