Doing search pays off

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SNJpage1, Jan 30, 2012.

1. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I bought a new DVD player that can access files on my computer but it would not play Tivo files. I did a search on converting them and found that some people recomended Direct Show Dump to do it. I could not get the program to install. I did a search on it here in the forums and a post came up from Greg Burns from Nov of 2007 that gave me the info I needed and now I can remove the Tivo wrapper and play the videos thru my Sony DVD player. With all the room I have on my hard drives in the computer I wanted to store the programs there and not on the Tivo.

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Take a look at both Kmttg and PyTiVo....

They will both do what you are looking for.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Why? he's not looking for anything. He already found a solution, that's why he posted in the first place.

4. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Since you asked....

He did not say what he found burried in an old 2007 post... A lot of great tools exist right now and I wanted to make sure he knows all of his options.

5. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I used Direct Show Dump to unwrap the Tivo files. It was free so thats nice. With KMTTG and Pytivo do you still use the Tivo desktop to transfer the programs to the computer? I've seen both programs mentioned a lot on here but haven't looked into either of them.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    kmttg downloads from the Tivo.. pyTivo UPLOADS to the Tivo (the same exact files you downloaded with kmttg or another program).

While neither has a great UI (kmttg is Java), they're still usable and the best option on a Mac for sure.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Perhaps you could post a link to Greg's post and the model number and brand of that DVD player?

8. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Below is the info I found on how to install the Direct Show Dump That Gregg had posted. Instead of a MSI file it is a zip file.

(Here it is extracted (ie, no .msi installer). It runs just fine with only 2.0.

http://home.comcast.net/~greg_burns/DirectShowDump.zip)

I bought a Sony BDPS580 Blu ray DVD player. It has built in wireless and wired ethernet. I bought it at Best Buy last Sat for $110. It was so easy to set up. After connecting all the cables I turned the power on and the first thing it did was bring up a set up screen for connecting to the network. It took about 2 minutes to get it connected to the network. Once the connection was made it automaticly went out to the Sony site and down loaded and installed the newest firmware. Ive never had anything go so easily. When you turn it on without a disk it brings up a screen with a list for video services it can stream such as Netflix. It will also show an icon for your computer if file sharing has been turned on. Clicking on that takes you to folders that contain the music, photos and video files in them. Clicking on a file plays it. Since it streams everything there is no need to upload a file to the Tivo and store it there to play it. Everything can be stored on your computer hard drive. I did not see any picture loss when playing the programs. However, you do have to unwrap the Tivo files for them to play. All my other videos played with out having to do anything to them.
    It does have HDMI output and up converts everything to 1080. On a scale of 1 to 5, I give the Sony DVD player a 5 for it's features and ease of setup.

9. Feb 1, 2012 #9 of 16
    bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Pytivo allows you to both upload and download... With the download you can queue up several shows, choose to decode the file and choose to bring down the metadata.

Neither kttmg or pytivo require the use of TiVo desktop and both, I suspect, are far more feature rich then Direct Show Dump....

Enjoy

10. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    My understanding is that DSD is capable of decrypting the .ts files, which transfer much faster than .tivo files. The tivodecode tool that kmttg and pytivo both use for decryption can't handle them. But otherwise, yeah, both have a lot of other great features. :)

Ref: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8910256#post8910256

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Actually I meant a link to the 2007 TCF post you mentioned having found.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You can do the second with kmttg too.. So I'm not sure why I'd prefer pytivo for that.. though having ONE ring to rule them all, err, one app to do it all, that'd be great.. (ESP if it were able to cache the now playing list while it updated. Though kmttg did add a feature I requested to set the now playing limit to e.g. 1 page, which I have set most of the time, since the things I want to transfer are _usually_ the newest things.)

13. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    The blue link in my post takes you to the 2007 post.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    "I did a search on it here in the forums and a post came up from Greg Burns from Nov of 2007..."

I don't think of http://home.comcast.net/ as "here".

To me, "here" is http://www.tivocommunity.com

Greg's post "here" will have other comments around it that might also be interesting and informative, and lend context to his.

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC