Does Youtube Live TV service work on TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mcf57, Jul 27, 2017.

1. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    PA
    Well, I just got notified that the new Youtube Live TV service is now offered in my area (Atlanta). They are offering a free month (then $35/month). While it doesn't appear to offer quite as many channels as some of the others (Turner networks are missing), it does have a fairly good selection along with live TV of ALL our local networks (NBC, ABC, Fox and CBS) & a so-called cloud DVR service.

While I may give it a try, I was wondering if this service will work with the Youtube interface on my TiVo Roamios? I'm not seeing it mentioned in their devices so am thinking probably not. Just wondering

2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Sorry, no. You Tube TV uses its own app, separate from the main YouTube app. Right now, it's only on mobile devices and the only way to watch it on a TV is via Chromecast.

3. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You're never going to see a cable replacement streaming app on Tivo, IMO. I am surprised that they never wanted to do this for the OTA-only boxes though.

4. davefred99

davefred99 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Lassen...
    That's too bad because TIVO is becoming a dinosaur and will have to evolve. I thought that when they announce the Bolt they were going to become an all in one Streaming and content solution. Sadly it seams they are locked into the old school cable box mentality. Everything is moving to the cloud and even traditional cable services are coming around to the fact that the old days of distributing over cable is moving to the internet.
    When my current Tivo Roamio dies I will not replace it with another Tivo. Instead I will look into something like the Tablo or similar setup that will allow me to use my FireTV or Roku Apps in a one box solution. I no longer subscribe to traditional cable and rely on OTA and Streaming apps. I do not even really need a DVR all that much anymore because most stuff is available on demand or I can DVR my programs in the cloud.

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Or you could get a universal remote, and every app/source would be one button press away.

Problems with on demand are limited availability and unskippable commercials, tons of them. I'll stick with Tivo where I still have at least some control.

rdrrepair and aaronwt like this.
  6. Baileywc

Baileywc New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Was really excited to begin using TIVO. Was tired of renting my DVR. Unfortunately, I really want to cut the cable at the same time and found out Youtube TV does not work on TIVO. This is a really bummer. I would pay anything to get away from Comcast!

7. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    YouTube TV is designed to replace your TiVo not be used with your TiVo.

8. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    If you're really interested in YouTube TV, you should do the free trial. Understand that, right now, they don't have a YouTube TV app for any TV-connected devices like Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, etc. So you would use their app on your Android phone/tablet or iPhone/iPad. Then you could cast whatever you want to watch to your TV if you have a Chromecast or an Apple TV connected to the TV. (To cast to an Apple TV, I think you have to use the YouTube TV app on an iPhone/iPad, but you can cast to a Chromecast from either an Android device or an iPhone/iPad.)

Google will give you a free trial (not sure if it's one month or 14 days now). If you keep it and pay the regular price ($35) for another month, they'll give you a free Chromecast for your TV if you don't already have one. So you could just check it out for free on your phone for the trial period (while you do you real TV watching with Comcast) and if you like it, keep YouTube TV and watch it with the free Chromecast they send you.

I personally would not like using my phone/tablet as the remote control and casting everything from it to the TV but some people (young ones, especially) don't seem to mind that. Meanwhile, Google has said that they will be rolling out a YouTube TV app for at least some TV devices (Roku, etc.) this fall.

Steve H. likes this.
  9. Steve H.

Steve H. New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Meanwhile, Google has said that they will be rolling out a YouTube TV app for at least some TV devices (Roku, etc.) this fall.[/QUOTE]

10. Steve H.

Steve H. New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I hope you are correct about a Google YouTubeTV app for the Roku. What I cannot understand about my TiVo Roamio is that the regular YouTube app ALLOWS me to cast to the TiVo. However, the YouTubeTV app doesn't see or recognize the TiVo (??????). I just bought a Roamio last month (after the demise of SimpleTV) and I really LOVE it ! However, I live in an area with hills and my OTA reception can be so-so on some stations. I'm trying YouTubeTV to see if I can overcome this reception and to see if their dvr is good for me ... I LOVE to time shift ! I have a 2nd gen. Chromecast for another TV, but would prefer it for my main TV. We'll see ... work in progress ....

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Casting doesn't actually send video from your phone/tablet/computer to your TiVo, it sends instructions to start the YouTube app and play a certain video on your TiVo. So the net effect is you are still limited by the YouTube app on your TiVo.

Steve H. likes this.
  12. MT Seats

MT Seats New Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Recently, took advantage of a TIVO offer to upgrade my Premier unit(s) to a Bolt. Like most, I am always exploring value based options. I don't hate Comcast or blame them for wanting to make a profit. They are however, certainly taking advantage of their market position in my area with zero competition. YouTubeTV represents a disruptive force that stands to change this dynamic. Accessing YouTubeTV from a TIVO would be far more convenient than dealing with my phone/tablet and a Chromecast device. Memo to Google and TiVO - work together and add value to your products and services!!

13. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    So far YouTube tv is gargabe, there is no 8-10' app on any platform to use with a remote. all point and click

14. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    YouTube TV has tweeted that they are currently "working on perfecting" native apps for both Android TV (Nvidia Shield TV, Mi Box) and Roku, although they couldn't provide an ETA. But they had said some time ago that they expected new apps to arrive this fall, so maybe we'll see those platforms supported soon.
    YouTube confirms a YouTube TV app for Android TV and Roku are in the works - Pixel Spot

Google will be rolling out their first big ad push for YouTube TV during the World Series, beginning Oct. 24. It would make a lot of sense to have their Roku and Android TV apps available by then, to take full advantage of the big ad splash. (I can imagine TV viewers first learning of YouTube TV during the Series only to immediately dismiss it when they find out it's only accessible on mobile devices.)

Given Google/YouTube's historically strong support for Apple devices, I would bet they're currently working on an Apple TV app too. Fire TV will probably not be supported, if I had to guess, due to the ongoing estrangement between Google and Amazon. Fire TV doesn't even have an official YouTube app.

15. drchristo

drchristo New Member

Mar 5, 2017
    YouTubeTv is great and getting better. they just announced support for Roku and other devices:
    YouTube TV is now available on select Roku devices

I can watch YouTubeTV natively on my Samsung TV and my Roku TV. If Tivo doesn't make a deal and support YouTubeTV - Tivo will be losing me as a customer AND i will have a bolt and a mini to sell.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  16. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Go talk with YouTube and encourage them to enable it or write a separate app.

17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    If you can watch on your Samsung and your Roku, why do you need Tivo to stream YouTubeTV?

LMK when YouTubeTV has a commercial SKIP command (FF sucks in the Cloud), and when they allow skipping of All commercials.
    YouTube TV Will Force You to Watch Ads on Many DVR’d Shows

18. drchristo

drchristo New Member

Mar 5, 2017
    i did. they sent my request to development. anyone know if there is a published list of coming features to vote on?

19. drchristo

drchristo New Member

Mar 5, 2017
    because i have several other older vizio smart tvs that do NOT have youtubetv apps that are connected to tivo. and would like youtubetv on those tvs. i will probably buy a new roku which DOES have a youtubetv app. not sure what to do with my bolt and mini once youtubetv is on all tvs.

20. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    eBay.
    If your only use of the Tivos is for streaming, you're better off selling them and get a Roku or AppleTV or Firestick or Chromecast. TiVo is a great DVR but a poor Streaming Device. (and Streaming Services are poor DVRs)