Does your TIVO get channel 1115(Newsmax TV) ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Johnny Danger, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016

Advertisements

Does your TIVO get channel 1115(Newsmax TV) ?

I am being told that

1. I have to replaced my smaller DTA to make it work on my TIVO ( not sure how this makes sense)

2. TIVO is not able to do HD.

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    this isn't an hd issue, it's a iptv issue - it's not a qam channel, so it can't be viewed on tivo, it requires an x1 box.

you can view it on the xfinity stream app on your cell phone or in a browser.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    The X1 box being like Comcast version of ROKU or is that a normal cablebox?

When you say IPTV. Do you mean like a streaming app like Netflix, Disney+, etc.. apps that run on AndroidTV such as Roku, smart TV, etc?

I understand how you can get an IPTV channel on a android app but here is my issue. Comcast has an actual channel for it which in my area is 1115.

That seems to suggest that its both an IPTV(app) as well as an actual traditional channel. Unless comcast is suppose to be somehow streaming an IPTV app over a normal TV channel?

For example, fox news has both an IPTV app plus a normal TV channel. Perhaps Newsmax is the same?

Why does it have a channel in the channel lineup for normal TV?

4. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    That's kinda what it's doing. Or at least, that's what it makes it look like.

98% of your channels are regular QAM. They're for a lack of better terms, regular channels, that your cable box can see, your TV can see, your Tivo can see, it's a standard. Everyone can decode them.

An increasing number of channels are being added in IPTV only, or are being converted to IPTV. This is far more proprietary (by design). The catch is, the Comcast boxes have been taught to read these IPTV channels off the wire when tuned, and present them as if they were a normal channel - so the user interface is the same. So if you're using a comcast box, it's a transparent experience. You press 1115 on the remote, and instead of reading a broadcast channel, it uses IP to ask a server to send some video - which it then puts on your TV.

This is much like the conversion from MPEG2 to MPEG4 where comcast rolled out new boxes that could decode MPEG4, and then once there was a critical mass of MPEG4 supporting boxes in the field, started switching channels over to MPEG4. Anyone who didn't have a newer cable box or tivo lost those channels until they upgraded.

In this case however, your Tivo knows nothing of Comcast's IPTV scheme, and there's nothing it can do. There is supposedly a solution "being worked on", but I wouldn't hold my breath. Going forward, it's a valid concern.

5. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016

Advertisements

I have been on the phone and chat all day with Comcast and after talking to countless people, only 1 person from an American location knew what you are saying now but with less detail. Most of their own employees don't understand this at all. One wanted to send a tech to my house and charge me $100 for the visit.
    Another rep said it was because the channel was in HD and TIVOs can't do HD.

They are telling me that all sorts of crazy things you would not believe.

Seems like a generally accepted protocol and API is needed for device manufacturers to make the live TV using IPTV into what people expect with a TV vs running an app in what is basically a smart phone connected to your TV.

I am glad someone finally explain how this works. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  6. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    You would like that. I would like that. Tivo would like that. A couple of other manufacturers would like that.

Comcast on the other hand, has essentially nothing to gain, and doesn't want that. It's nothing but extra expense, and lost revenue. They fought the CableCard mandate tooth and nail. They dragged out the successor to CableCards to the point where it never got off the ground. And they're never going to embrace any sort of public API. It's all downside from a corporate point of view.

The customers that would truly leave over the situation (as opposed to those that threaten to quit, then grumble but stay), is such a low number that they don't really care.

7. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    It's called Comcast phasing out qam and shifting channels to iptv, thus making your tivo become a relic. They want their rental fees, and they want you using X1. And they don't want to support qam anymore. It's just a matter of time.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

8. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Also, just because it's "IP"TV doesn't mean it runs over the Internet. It can, but usually they're using a private intranet, like how many cable landline systems are also VoIP based, but are not running over the internet but their own private intranet.

So even though the data stream is standard DOCSIS, it's still highly proprietary and probably locked to the boxes.

9. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Our TiVo's can not receive the channels that are being moved to IP TV. But moved channels still exist in standard definition. So you should have your channel in SD on your TiVo.

10. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    you probably have the Pluto app on your Tivo. Just run that and you can watch Newsmax free.

11. chiguy50

chiguy50 U.S. Army (ret.)

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought you said that you couldn't get Newsmax?:rolleyes:

12. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    The simple amuse themselves by ridiculing the complex.

13. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Of course my CableCARD 'activated' TiVo devices don't do 1115 for NEWSMAX but I have an 'inactive' Bolt that on the TIVO+ w/TE4 I can do NEWSMAX. I'm NOT using Pluto or any other APP. TIVO+ seems to be an APP of it's own with a select menu for Genre on the left.

foghorn2 likes this.
  14. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    NOT in this case, as Newsmax is ONLY available in (IP) HD on Comcast...which of course only works on an X1 box or Roku/Firestick...

CommunityMember likes this.
  15. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    LOL, pot meet kettle.

16. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    In the general case (and with Comcast there are always exceptions) existing HD channels that move to IPTV (and those tend to have smaller viewship) continue to have their SD feed in linear QAM (for a couple of reasons). And most newly introduced channels are made available via IPTV only (as most newly available channels are expected to at least start with a smaller viewership). Newsmax, of course, was a new channel.

And to show the exception that proves the rule, when Comcast (finally?) managed to negotiate a contract with the Marquee channel (which got them carriage of the Cubs) that new channel is carried on Linear QAM for the Chicago market (where it is expected to be somewhat popular). Outside the local markets such channels tend to be IPTV (as while one can find Cubs fans everywhere, they tend to be low density outside the home market).

Comcast is expected to continue to use engineering intelligence when making such decisions (linear QAM vs IPTV) to minimize their overheads and bandwidths.

17. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    I do understand all that...my point was in THIS case, with the channel that was the topic of this thread... ;)

CommunityMember likes this.
  18. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    The intent was for the OP, and later readers, to better understand for the future.

19. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Well I got the X1 box(or at least they told me it was an X1 box) and still don't get channel 1115(NewsMax)
    The serial number starts with a PAQ# if that narrows it down.

Goes right from channel 1114 to I think 1121.

Is there something special I need to do to activate the IPTV feature?

Also does this come in over the coaxial cable or LAN connection on the X1?

I know coax cable has the ability to transfer data as well as network cable.

The box was mailed to me and I did not get any channels until about a few hours ago until the rep finally figured out how to activate it. I never got a initial setup menu screen so maybe the thing is not activated right.

Did you have to take any special steps to get the IPTV channels like channel 1115(NewsMax)?

Thanks .

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  20. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Is that channel part of your cable package? You don’t need to do anything special for IPTV channels.