Does your box reboot

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Pine Cladding, Mar 31, 2011.

Does your Virgin Media Tivo reboot?

1. No, I have no problems with reboots

34 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. Yes, my box reboots less than once a week

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. Yes, my box rebbots more once a week

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. Yes, my box reboots so many times I'm sending it back

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pine Cladding

Pine Cladding Large member (Ooer!)

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK

Advertisements

There seems to be a couple of camps - Those that do those that don't. I'm just curious where your VM TiVo sits.

2. richw

richw New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Bath, UK
    I was definitely in the "Yes, my box reboots so many times I'm sending it back" for a while, however it's not quite that bad at the moment, but still far worse than it should be.

I think I'm due a call from the Chief Exec's office again tomorrow though...

3. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I've voted no because. even though I have had a couple of re-boots, I think they were just glitches (like too many RF commands at once) and not part of a specific problem; like richw is having.

4. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Weren't most reboots caused by the TiVo not being resilient to temporary cable network errors?
    ...but personally I've not had any freezes or reboots at all on mine.

5. Pine Cladding

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK

Advertisements

That update made no difference to the frequency of reboots my box suffers.

It would be nice if we could access the logs to try to determine what the causes are. Mine seems to reboot for no apparent reason and it doesn't need to be doing anything more taxing than watching live TV.

6. richw

richw New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Bath, UK
    Mine has been a bit odd. The half-hourly reboots more or less stopped a few days before AE4 was released, and it settled back to a reboot every few days, but versions AE4 and AE6 don't seem to have made any appreciable difference.

7. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    I had reboots a few times a week. I've had at least once since the first update, but I've not noticed any recently. They happen when I'm using the remote, but aren't due to me pushing buttons too quickly.

It's hard to be sure more reboots aren't happening when I'm not around to notice. If there's no recording in progress, the only indication would be various settings getting reset - such as the Guide filters. It does seem to me that the Guide filters get reset quite often, but I don't know if that's because of reboots. Does anyone know how to find out the up-time?

8. °Keir°

°Keir° New Member

Feb 25, 2011
    No reboot issues here.

9. sammyh25

sammyh25 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Averaging 2 or 3 reboots a week but no pattern to them, apart from watching HD, some while recording and some while just watching TV.

10. Pine Cladding

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK
    Damn, more reboots. I may be seeing some sort of a pattern though: Last Thusrday, Sunday and Monday rebooted 3 times circa 10:30, 16:15 and 10:15 each day.

11. warrenrb

warrenrb Quiet Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Belfast
    Fixed your post for you Carl.

I pressed 'My Shows' tonight, and it rebooted, spoiling two recordings.

12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    And what about the majority of people who have had no re-boots either? Are we all making it upi? :rolleyes:

Also... I should thank Warren as I think he he just caused my Tivo to re-boot (unattended) to spite me :p

13. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Going to have to reboot mine yet again because it won't let me delete any recordings again.