Does TivoHD Work With Amazon Instant Streaming?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Prestond, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Prestond

Prestond Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Hi All,

I am sorry but I am confused with what the TivoHD can do in terms of streaming Amazon Instant Video for Amazon Prime members.

I reviewed the following threads and to me its just not clear:

Free Amazon Video On Demand With Amazon Prime!!!
    Amazon Prime Streaming

...and a few others but cant seem to get it sorted.

On Amazon's website they state:
    ---------------------------------------------
    Compatible DVRs and Services
    Any broadband-connected TiVo Series2, Series3, TiVo HD, or TiVo XL DVRs can download and play standard definition Amazon Instant Video videos. High definition Amazon Instant Video videos can play on Series3, TiVo HD or TiVo XL DVRs.
    Specifically, the compatible TiVo units are Series2 Series3, HD and XL stand-alone units manufactured by TiVo (all units), AT&T (all units), Sony (the SVR3000 but not the SVR2000, which is a Series1 unit), Humax (all units), Toshiba (all units), or Pioneer (all units).
    At this time, Prime Instant Videos are only available for streaming and cannot be viewed on a TiVo box.
    ---------------------------------------------

I did sign up for Amazon Prime....but it seems like I cannot do the instant streaming on my TivoHD box. I can purchase and stream a video but no free streaming of instant videos as advertised.

The last sentence on the above info on Amazon may not be well articulated if Amazon's definition of streaming is incorrect or applied incorrectly:

"At this time, Prime Instant Videos are only available for streaming and cannot be viewed on a TiVo box."

If I am not streaming on TivoHD or Roku or whatever box when watching a video over internet then what am I doing? Does Amazon believe that the term "streaming" is only capable via a PC and that when video watching over a roku or tivo it is some sort of witchcraft? Vodoo perhaps?

I called Tivo and they said no but I am not convinced the support person was telling me correctly because I had to describe multiple times what I was even talking about and she simply didnt impress me that it was something she was truly versed in as I had to describe the concept of streaming to her.

QUESTION: Has anyone with TivoHD box and Amazon Prime membership been able to stream Amazon instant free on demand videos without having to make purchase? i.e. just click on the video and start streaming via the TivoHD box?

If so, what were the steps and how did you get it to work?

I am not talking about Video On Demand for Amazon, I can buy video and stream that, I am talking about the instant FREE streaming of videos for Amazon Prime members using TivoHD.

Thank you,
    Prestond

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
  3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    "At this time, Prime Instant Videos are only available for streaming and cannot be viewed on a TiVo box."

This statement seems pretty clear. Perhaps someday, but they are not available at this time.

Paid Amazon content is copied to the TiVo, and not streamed. You can watch it as it downloads, which is nice, but that is different than streaming.

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I use a Logitech Revue for Amazon Prime Instant Video and TiVoHD for Amazon Video on Demand pay download. It would be nice if the Amazon Prime Instant Video becomes available with TiVo but I have seen nothing yet that makes me believe it is coming.

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    But it's NOT clear anywhere else on Amazon. Amazon keeps mixing up Amazon VOD and Amazon streaming and when you look for info you end up on a web carousel of no answer answers - other than finally finding that link.

So Amazon, I guess we stick with NetFlix, huh, huh huh?

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Given how many names changes Amazon Instant Video has had I can see why the OP is confused.

7. Prestond

Prestond Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Actually this statement is fallible:

What the above is saying is that "Prime Instant Videos are only available for streaming". Then what the heck is it we are doing when we stream a video on Tivo? I guess we dont stream videos by Youtube on our Tivo's or other RSS videos. All those years I watched Cranky Geeks on my Tivo I guess I wasnt streaming?

What they should have said instead was:

"At this time, Prime Instant Videos cannot be viewed on a TiVo box. You can however order Amazon Video On Demand ....blah blah blah"

So a cup of poor communication by Amazon coupled with a cup of poor implementation by Tivo makes a batch of unhappy customer. That is not a recipe for success.

Thanks for the clarification from everyone it is appreciated.

8. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003

I agree this statement by Amazon is not clear, because watching Netflix on Tivo is streaming. Apparently Amazon does not understand that Tivo can do streaming, just not theirs. They should have said that Tivo is not optimized to stream content from Amazon.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If you watch YouTube, I guess you're actually streaming.. but video podcasts are NOT streaming, they are downloaded.. The fact that you can watch them while they're downloading (with a fast enough connection), does not change the fact that they're not streaming.

Amazon videos are *downloads*.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This statement seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's not Amazon's job to clarify what a TiVo can and cannot stream, all they have to say is that TiVo cannot stream Amazon Prime content. Saying anything more would probably just steer customers to competitors like Netflix.

Dan

11. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    'optimized' isn't the right word, as it generally means something designed to achieve maximum efficiency. There's no reason Tivo would be any more or less efficient than any other device. The feature just isn't implemented.

If it was me I would shorten Amazon's statement to "At this time, Prime Instant Videos cannot be viewed on a TiVo box". The consumer has no need to know whether streaming is involved or not. He only cares that the box doesn't have the feature.

Furthermore, I'd even shorten it to "Prime Instant Videos cannot be viewed on a TiVo box" as the phrase "at this time" is superfluous and there's no reason to believe they'll ever work some time in the future.

12. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    It most certainly is their job to clarify the statement! Amazon had no problem saying Prime Instant Videos are only available for streaming and implying Tivo doesn't stream, when in fact Tivo does stream.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    How did they imply TiVo doesn't stream? The only reason they even mention streaming is because TiVo does support their download service and they have to differentiate the two. I think you're reading way more into that statement then anyone else would.

Dan

14. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Tivo does not stream Amazon Prime videos, and that's the only streaming that's important in the context of their statement. Streaming isn't a general-purpose technology; it's specific to the applets (Netflix, etc).

Regardless, I think they should delete the words from the statement; the user does not care about the technical aspects, merely that Tivo does not support Amazon Prime.