Does TivoHD require HDCP over HDMI or is FiOS flagging all channels?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by edrock200, Sep 20, 2007.

1. edrock200

edrock200 New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

I just setup several new TivoHD's in anticipation of the new MRV and tivo2go functionality thats coming (or coming back rather) to the HD units. I had Verizon come out today and take their DVR's and setup 3 Tivo HD's. Setup went great, except for that one TV, an older Dell LCD with a DVI port w/o HDCP, would not let me watch anything via an HDMI connection. The Tivo kept telling me I didn't have HDCP and to utilze component.

My question is:

Is it a requirement of TivoHD to have HDCP over the HDMI connection, or is TivoHD seeing a content flag on the signal and then requiring HDCP?

If its seeing a content flag, I'm guessing this means that Verizon FiOS is flagging all programs on all channels (I couldn't even get my local channels to work.) Can anyone confirm this?

My concern is if FiOS is flagging all the shows I most likely will not be able to use MRV and TTT....that would suck.

TIA,
    -Ed

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The use of HDCP on HDMI output is standard throughout the industry (cable and satellite). HDCP has nothing to do a flag on the programming. It's always enabled.

You can select any recording on your Tivo and hit Info. If that program is copy-protected, the Tivo will tell you. If it doesn't mention copyright protection, then there is none.

I live in the DC area, so I can save you some time. Last I checked, Verizon FiOS did not "copy protect" any digital cable channels in the FiOS TV Premier package.

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    IIRC, the hdmi connection must have hdcp.

4. edrock200

edrock200 New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Northern...
    Thanks for the clarification guys, thats good news.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

If you have problems with the TV without HDCP you'll need to use the component connections.
    All my sets are HDCP compliant, but I do know that if I have try to record a premium program to a DVD burner, if the TV is on when I try to do it I'll get a message saying I can't copy it. As long as the HDMI connection isn't active it's fine.