Does Tivo work with Charter cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by godsey1, Jan 23, 2014.

1. godsey1

godsey1 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Crossville, TN

Advertisements

Hi all, new member here. I have been with Dish Network for about 6 years, I love the channels and guide, but hate the cost. Yesterday we had Charter come and install their cable, phone and internet. I hate their cable box, and guide.

I have been checking around looking at Tivo's, and am wondering if I can use a Tivo with Charter.

My wife went to Charter today and they make it sound like they don't support Tivo.

Thanks for any help,

Tony

2. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Charter should support TiVos. You will need to obtain a cable card from them. Either from a local office or they may be able to send you one in the mail. This will then insert into your new TiVo. You then need to call Charter and have them "pair" the new cable card with the new TiVo you got.

I have Comcast and they have a dedicated cable card hotline. Not sure if Charter has this and/or how hard it is to pair cable cards with TiVos with Charter. While I didn't need this, I know some cable companies require a SDV adapter as well. Maybe someone else with Charter can confirm this or not.

3. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    I have Charter in St. Louis and have been using CableCards since I had my S3 back in 2006. I've gone through Tivo HD units, Premieres and now a Roamio Pro.

You will need a CableCard and Tuning Adapter per Tivo. In St. Louis, they use Motorola cards and Motorola TAs. I did run into an issue when moving one of my CableCards from my S3 to my Roamio Pro as Charter couldn't get it to work over the phone with the phone install. A tech had to come up with a newer card with newer FW for it to work and so far, it seems to be working on my Roamio Pro.

If you're starting fresh with a new Tivo install, you may need a truck roll to get it all working if you can't pick up the equipment locally and do an over-the-phone pairing of the card and TA to the Tivo.

You will be looked at like the redheaded stepchild since they seldom do many things with CableCards and they don't have a dedicated group like Comcast seems to. You'll call into the regular tech support number and you may have to get shuffled around to a rep that is versed on CableCards in trying to get this dealt with for a new install.

4. godsey1

godsey1 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Crossville, TN
    Thanks for the info. I have found a set of Roamio pro and mini for 680.00 shipped new that I may get.

Tony

5. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

I don't have Charter, but I'm pretty sure all cable TV companies in the U.S. are required to support the CableCard standard under federal regulations. From my own experiences with Time Warner Cable, I can tell you that cable companies do their best to discourage you from it. They want to lock you into their crappy, overpriced equipment if they possibly can. Their most popular strategy for this seems to be getting their employees playing dumb about it and trying to get you to question whether you know what you're actually talking about. Just be persistent and firm. Eventually you'll get Charter to live up to their legal duty to support your TiVo.

I did find references to CableCard and TiVo on Charter's website:

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/Customers/Support.aspx?MenuItem=79

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?SupportArticleID=15

It looks like there is some useful info there and it at least proves that they do support CableCards and TiVo. If any Charter employees try to tell you they don't support it, just reference their own website and that should shut them up about it.

6. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Charter does support CableCards and TiVos. It can be a trying experience, but once you get it setup and going you'll be in good shape.

7. godsey1

godsey1 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Crossville, TN
    Thanks for all the good comments and help. Just got off the phone with Charter and the customer rep said that I would have to find out what cable card that I need before they can get me one.

They carry one type in their office, and they other they would have to send it to me from somewhere else.

How do I know what type card that I need?

Tony

8. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Charter is supposed to know what kind of card you need. It's dependent on what system they use in your area (Cisco or Motorola).

They're "supposed" to be able to mail them to you, but I have never had that happen. Just go to your local Charter store and get a CableCard and Tuning Adapter, or you can schedule a tech to bring one out.

9. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    That's a strange thing for them to tell you, as the brand of card (Motorola vs. Cisco) used in your area is the brand you will need. However, I think what the customer service rep was probably referring to was not the brand of card but rather single-stream card ("S-card") vs. multi-stream card (M-card). I'm sure they probably only keep M-cards in stock these days as all current TiVos use them. Only if you went on ebay and bought a really old TiVo would you need a single-stream card.

Just get the brand of card they keep it stock at your local office and just make sure that it's an M-card. It's almost certainly the type of card you will need.

10. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually, a Series 3 can use an M-Card, it'll just be in single stream mode. They should really only be dealing in M-Cards these days. Probably just got an unfortunately educated CSR

11. godsey1

godsey1 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Crossville, TN
    Yes that's the cards she said. I will send my wife in there when the box gets here and get the card. Thanks a bunch for the help, and I look forward to reading and posting on here a lot,

Tony

12. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    From the Charter website it looks like Charter uses Switched Digital Video (SDV) in most places, so your wife will also probably need to pick up a tuning adapter when she's there getting the CableCard.

13. godsey1

godsey1 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Crossville, TN
    ok thanks. I cant wait to get this thing and get it running.

Tony

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    When you call Charter to pair it, just say "Cablecard" at the voice prompt and you will usually get someone who knows how to pair the card over the phone.

15. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I think you will be very happy with your Tivo........ I really like my Premiere. I wish it was as responsive as the Roameo but I like it just the same. You will also save a lot of money on the overpriced rental fees that the cable companies love to charge!!

16. godsey1

godsey1 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Crossville, TN
    I hope the wife likes the guide. If it is anything better than the Charter one. It will save us around 30.00 a month.

Tony

17. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Below is the "Grid Guide"

[​IMG]

The other option is the "Live Guide"

[​IMG]

18. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I didn't even know there was a "grid guide" option. I learn something new every day around here.

19. godsey1

godsey1 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Crossville, TN
    That grid guide is perfect for us. My wife has a big smile on her face after i showed it to her. I cant wait to get this thing and get it running.

Tony

20. hazelnus

hazelnus New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    I am in St. Louis area with Charter and have it working fine. It was a hassle to get set up but here are a few pearls I picked up along the way:
    - Initial setup, get a tech visit. However, they never have the equipment, so set up the tech visit but go pick up your tuning adapter and M-card at the main Charter store in your area.
    -Make sure that you call tech support and that tech visits are 8-5 hours so that their one tivo expert is around for tech to consult.
    -you don't need all-digital cable to get it to work
    -It can be done
    -educate yourself about TA setup with splitter (parallel calls to TA and Tivo, not in series)
    -familiarize yourself with Murphy's Law