Does TIVO Work With Cable Phone?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tigerluv700, Jan 17, 2006.

1. tigerluv700

tigerluv700 tigerluv

Jan 17, 2006
    Florida

Advertisements

I recently switched my telephone service to cable. Ever since, my Tivo PTV-100 can not connect for downloading data. :confused:

Will my TIVO work with my cable phone system? Do I need an adapter?

Please help as I have been with no data for too long now!

Thanks so much!

2. tigerluv700

tigerluv700 tigerluv

Jan 17, 2006
    Florida
    I am answering my own question. I just called the TIVO support line and was informed by a representative that currently TIVO only supports analog phone service.

Does anyone know if there are any plans in the works for TIVO to start supporting digital phone service that works thru cable broadband coax cable in the future?

In the meantime, I am left with a TIVO that does not give me any channel info.

:mad:

3. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Cable phone service is simply a form of VOIP and VOIP is less than reliable for TiVo connection, but there are alternatives.

If you have a series 2 then you can connect to the TiVo service through the internet.

IF you have a computer nearby you can use PPP over serial to connect. (This works for all TiVos)

IF you have a series 1 then you can get a turbonet card from 9th Tee and use that to connect through the internet.

I do not, offhand, remember which category the PTV-100 is in but one of the above solutions will work to get your data.

4. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Check with your VoIP provider. Most will disclaim that a modem will work but a few claim that it will. If yours is one of the ones that claim that it will, make them fix it. Otherwise, you signed up for the wrong service and you could consider shopping around for one that does support modems.

5. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma

Advertisements

I've got COMCAST digital phone service. It works just fine with my TiVos. A friend of mine has the exact same set-up and zero problems.

6. Shawn95GT

Shawn95GT Tivo, in HD!

Oct 7, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Most of the cable co's 'digital phone service' isn't digital at all on your house end. Did you need to replace all of your phones? I'm guessing no.

The 'digital' part is between your box outside and the cable co. You phones / devices don't know the difference. On your house side of the box, it's still analog.

Now if your 'cable phone' is a VoIP solution, they may be using a lossy codec that isn't condusive to data. I got mine to work with Vonage for the 1st call after MANY re-tries. Now they connect via the Internet and I couldn't be happier.