Does Tivo Use Data when Not Recording? How Much?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TvoSince1997, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Jan 1, 2020 #1 of 17
    TvoSince1997

TvoSince1997 New Member

Jan 1, 2020

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Bolt.

My data use has been 450GB a month when we were not even home on a month long vacation. And I was only recording a few hour-long HD news programs a day during that time as I recall.

My question is: are all 4 tuners using the data stream all 24 hours even when they are not recording?

I assume so, since the 30-min recording is always on.

Can I reduce that data by putting a couple of the tuners on the Xfinity default Channel 1, which only seems to show a low-definition video in the upper right corner of the screen?

2. Jan 1, 2020 #2 of 17
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I assume you mean 450GB of internet use. That has nothing to do with TV recording. But it would be affected by streaming data. Check your 1P for the setting "Recording Only".

Yes, all tuners are buffering data unless the box is in Standby. If I was leaving for a month I would set power saving to maximum just so suggestions will not record either. Normally I never use Standby, and when I was gone for two weeks my internet use was 100MB. My ISP lets me see my usage by the hour. That 100MB was for two Roamio boxes.

3. Jan 1, 2020 #3 of 17
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Change your WiFi Network Key.

-KP

4. Jan 1, 2020 #4 of 17
    TvoSince1997

TvoSince1997 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Joe,

I have a splitter right where the outside cable comes through the outside wall. The Tivo gets its own feed cable completely separate from the one that leads over to the computer's cable modem. The Xfinity 450GB thus contained about 90GB from the computer that was measured on the internet modem.

I have my own cable modem and can see on a "traffic meter" how much data is going through the cable modem daily.

So the big data has to be the Tivo for the other 350GB this summer (and about 600GB in November)

Since October the amount used has been rising a lot and I hit my Xfinity data cap for the first time ever. That is what has me looking into everything.

I have turned off the automatic next episode play on Netflix. That might have had entire seasons playing, but then it would show that I had seen those episodes.

I guess I will have to disconnect the Tivo periodically as experiment with the daily usage.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  5. Jan 1, 2020 #5 of 17
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

Your TiVo does not use ANY data, except for a relatively tiny amount to download Guide Data. Unless there's Streaming occurring on it.

Your Data Usage is occurring elsewhere.

Do you live in an Apartment or other Multi-Family Dwelling?

-KP

6. Jan 1, 2020 #6 of 17
    TvoSince1997

TvoSince1997 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    kpeters,

Thanks for suggestions. I assume the four tuners are always recording 30 minutes, though. That's why I was asking about the Xfinity Channel 1 solution.

But see my reply above to Joe. I can see any wireless traffic in my modem if I had someone hacking in. And there is no big data usage there. And I live in a single home.

7. Jan 1, 2020 #7 of 17
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    At least be sure no OnePass is set to Streaming and Suggestions are disabled.

Xfinity has a data cap for TV? I doubt it. It must be a streaming problem.

8. Jan 1, 2020 #8 of 17
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    QAM does not use 'data'. It's always available at the end of the coax for every channel.

TiVo's do download some graphics, I suppose, for the TV shows. But, you have to work pretty hard to hit the 1tb cap.

Do you use MoCA?

-KP

9. Jan 1, 2020 #9 of 17
    TvoSince1997

TvoSince1997 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Does the Xfinity streaming data come in over the network cable that plugs into the Bolt? Or does it come in over the coaxial XFinity cable from the wall?

No, I have no "MoCA" box that I know of, just the NetGear C7100V cable modem I bought.

Maybe I need to understand the routing better to get to the bottom of this.

I do have a computer science degree and was an advanced programmer and have connected networks among computers, so hit me with all the tech you know.

10. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Streaming would be via your Internet service, not your cable service, even if they are from the same company via the same physical cable.

Streaming includes allowing a OnePass to get "Recordings and streaming videos", as well as the use of streaming apps like Netflix and the others.

A tiny bit of data will also be downloaded for the electronic program guide, service information, and other background needs, but the total bits for all that stuff is just a rounding error compared to the usage you're seeing.

kpeters59 likes this.
  11. TvoSince1997

TvoSince1997 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    So the Ethernet cable is for the Apps like Netflix, etc.

And the Coaxial cable is for Xfinity channels? Am I correct?

12. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, within your house those are the paths. However one possible area of confusion is this: a TiVo OnePass option allows you to select "Recordings and streaming videos". In that case it could access either the Ethernet or coax cables depending on the source.

And a further possible point of confusion: TiVo no longer supports Xfinity On Demand, but just so you know, that one comes over your cable system via coax to your cable box and television...but would be via Ethernet or Wi-Fi if you're using the Xfinity Stream app on a computer or tablet.

13. TvoSince1997

TvoSince1997 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Pokemon-Dad,

Thanks for the information.

I will remember that about the Xfinity stream.

Seems like setting a couple of tuners on channel 1 would lower the daily streaming of non Ethernet cable TV since HD is does not seem to be coming over that channel if I am not streaming to a tablet or mobile device.

Does that sound reasonable?

14. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Don't worry about that either. It doesn't matter what cable channel the TiVo is on. It's still accessing only the cable TV connection not your Ethernet/modem connection, so it is not impacting your data usage at all.

The amount of monthly data you reported looks more like daily Netflix streaming via your Ethernet. Maybe while you were gone it auto-played through multiple seasons of a show you'd been watching? 450 GB is so high, that's why someone asked if you'd been hacked.

kpeters59 likes this.
  15. TvoSince1997

TvoSince1997 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Now that I understand the routing of the Ethernet vs. the QAM coaxial data, I guess that makes sense, now that you point it out. We are already paying a lot for the cable TV. Internet service is separate.

But I think I found a big factor. It's Carbonite backup updating files continuously. I'm doing some tests and that probably accounts for a lot of it.

Thank you for the helpful information. I had searched for hours on the internet and never did find that Ethernet/coaxial distinction for a Tivo box.

Pokemon_Dad likes this.
  16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Cloud-based backup could certainly consume a large amount of data!

Scott

17. TvoSince1997

TvoSince1997 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Yes. I think that was it. Carbonite backing up some very, very large folders.