Does TIVO+ Trigger Pre-Roll advertisements?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by don998, Apr 1, 2020.

1. don998

don998 New Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have a Roamio OTA and it recently updated to 21.9.7.v3. I then started seeing the Gray Arrow screen and a black screen at the beginning of recorded shows. And, I noticed the tivo+ program line added to the guide. I have NOT accepted the tivo+ Terms because I am concerned that if I do, they will actually start inserting Ads instead of the gray arrow screen.
    Does anyone know if I can avoid the Ads if I do not agree to start tivo+?
    I don't figure I am missing anything by not using yet another mediocre streaming service.

2. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I also haven't agreed to the TiVo+ terms of service, so I can't answer that part of your question.

Maybe you know this, but you can call (or live chat) with TiVo and ask to opt-out of the pre-roll ads. They'll say the change will take up to 72 hours. In my case the change kicked in after about 30 hours.

3. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Prerolls and TiVo+ are completely separate.

No, avoiding the terms will not stop the ads.

4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I was gonna say the opposite. Once you see the guide ads, you can bet the pre-rolls are not far behind.

5. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I have had Tivo Plus since announced and haven't seen pre-roll ads

6. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Tivo+ triggers downgrade/upgrade to TE3.

7. don998

don998 New Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Looks like this is a moot point. The ads started showing up anyway. At least I can jump past but they are still annoying.

8. Alpha1847

Alpha1847 New Member

Mar 16, 2020
    Yes, getting the pre-roll ads for recordings now too. Hey, Tivo - I'd be ok with this if you wanted to start offering the service for free, but as I am already paying $15/mo for a glorified channel guide, this double-dipping is inexcusable. Please, continue to give me reasons to drop my service after 15 years. As if the useless mini boxes or terrible mobile app weren't enough.

9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    You can telephone TiVo customer support and request that the pre-roll ads be discontinued for you, and TiVo will honor the request (although it may try to dissuade you).