Does tivo take payoffs to disable skip on some shows?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bgc, Jan 31, 2020.

1. bgc

bgc Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I mean on the main broadcast networks. It seems I see alot of shows that should have it but don't.

bgc

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. jcliff

jcliff Member TCF Club

May 23, 2017
    What blows my mind is that I think they actually pay people to watch the shows (I assume sped up) to insert skip timestamps. So I'd guess it depends more on which shows they think are popular.

From their docs they claim:

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think it might sometimes have to do with someone sleeping on the job and others it has to do with the recording on their device being corrupt. The whole system is based on the captions, and done using a regular TiVo that someone uses to record the actual show. (there is evidence of all of this in the data you can download from the API) But captions are finicky. So if their recording is corrupt the hash of their captions may not match yours and the TiVo wont be able to line up the skip points. I've had cases where I've checked for skip data on shows where it was missing on my TiVo. In some cases it's there, but the hash data is corrupt and in other cases it's simply not there. Or in a few cases the captions on my personal recording are corrupt which is why the hash can't match them up. It's kind of a fragile system.

5. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    yeah that was a beef of mine too. like First 48, at best 25% of them had autoskip. Even like Datline was hit and miss. And then you can't chase watch anything right. You gotta wait I think.

My kid though, with IMpratical Jokers..... Every single one had autoskip. Maybe that was a show the paid interns were really into.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah it use to be a set collection of networks between specific hours, but somewhere along the lines they changed it to be whatever shows are most popular. They have the data on what people actually watch and record, so they know what's popular, so I guess it works kind of. But it has become inconsistent with shows having it sometimes but not always which is annoying. Although I think they still guarantee prime time on the major networks, so if you don’t get it on one of those shows it's likely a technical issue like I mentioned above.