Does TiVo still allow registration of Series 3 for lifetime?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by OrbitalGolem, Jan 3, 2020.

1. OrbitalGolem

OrbitalGolem New Member

Dec 13, 2019
    So my Series 3 TCD652160 is one of the "rare" ones with blinking green LED that Weaknees couldn't fix at the motherboard level. Murphy's Law strikes me again. They offered me the option of one of their Premiere models:

TiVo DVRs with All-in Lifetime Service (No Service Fees)!

I have a spare, never-used, TCD652160. Is TiVo still allowing lifetime registration of these older models or do I have to go with the newer models for lifetime? Is the TSN stored in a flash chip on the motherboard and can it be moved from the old board to the new one?

If not, which of the Premiere models in their link above would be most similar to the TCD652160? This is my parents' unit and they only need the functionality that the Series 3 offered.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It is not a registration, it is a Tivo Service Subscription (and activation.)

Tivo ended Support for the Series 3 a few years ago, so, no you cannot activate service for that Tivo. They will only continue service for current units still running.

I would recommend the Roamio series if you are looking for one. The 6 tuner models are cable only.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  3. DaveB673

DaveB673 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Well, crap. I just bought a lifetime series 3 online. Here's hoping it will still be usable when I get it. So, I am guessing Tivo may not bother switching it to my account? Guess I'll find out.
    At least the Roamio I got is good for a while.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Since it already has lifetime service, you are fine. They'll allow you to transfer it to your account. You just can't activate an S3 that does not already have lifetime service or a monthly/annual subscription.

Scott

DaveB673 likes this.