Does TiVo Desktop work on XP netbooks?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rasmasyean, Aug 15, 2011.

1. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I tried to install TiVo Desktop on different XP netbooks and am having problems with Windows Media Player playing the transfered recordings. In one netbook, the video works but not the sound. In another netbook, it just doesn't work at all (can't play it).

It says on the download site that it supports Windows XP, but is there some issue with netbooks or something that might cause this?

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I think I answered this in another thread. I'm guessing your netbook didn't come with any DVD software, and is lacking the proper codec. As suggested, download and install the K-Lite Codec pack. Then, Windows Media Player should be able to play .tivo files.

Tivo Desktop works fine on my 3-yo, Acer Aspire One netbook which is running XP home. It came with DVD software despite not having a CD or DVD drive. On another system (a desktop) that didn't come with DVD software, I had to install the K-Lite Codec pack to play .tivo files transferred with Tivo Desktop.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You're missing a handful of CODECs, try one of the misc XP CODEC packages.
    Normally Tivo Desktop adds them, but stripped down systems like netbooks are frequently missing a few of them.

You can also use directshow dump to convert them to straight MPEG, the same CODECs would be needed.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    TiVo Desktop does not add codecs, unless you buy the Plus key.

Windows XP does not come with any "license required" codecs, or has free rights to them.

You need a DirectShow compatible MPEG2 codec, or strip the .tivo DRM to play with KMplayer or the like.

5. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Well, I guess you can't always expect modern products to work seamlessly with legacy products all the time. But since they are such a big company, you would expect them to take into consideration the fact that these "Windows XP" products as well as "Netbooks" are so prevalent these days. Even something as simple as "special instructions". And ideally with "download links" or something would be nice. I mean, if I was the product manager, I'd simply develop my own player rather than be that cheap about it.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I think this was mentioned in your other thread, but TiVo does provide the codecs and everything you need to play .TiVo files ... you just have to shell out $25 for TiVo Desktop Plus.