Does TiVo consider the Roamio Pro to be its current top model even after Bolt launch?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tarheelblue32, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Oct 1, 2015 #1 of 31
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    So looking at the models:

Bolt, 500MB, 4 tuners, $299 w/1yr service included
    Bolt, 1,000MB, 4 tuners, $399 w/1yr service included
    Roamio Pro, 3,000MB, 6 tuners, $599 w/1yr service included

It certainly seems like based on the pricing, the Roamio Pro is considered a higher-end model than the Bolt. I know, there are features that the Bolt has that the Roamio doesn't, but there does not seem to be any 6-tuner Bolt with a larger hard drive on the horizon. If anything, I'd say that TiVo has decided that for the time being the Roamio Pro will be the top model, even though a newer model has launched. It gives me hope that maybe once the initial Bolt push subsides, the SkipMode feature may actually find its way onto the Roamios.

2. Oct 1, 2015 #2 of 31
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Until the Bolt Pro is released, sure. They rushed the base Bolt out to meet some end of September date apparently.

SkipMode should absolutely come to the Roamio monthly customers at minimum, and I'd argue lifetime as well given that the box is only 2 years old.

But if the Bolt bombs as I expect, it may trickle down to Roamios anyway.

3. Oct 1, 2015 #3 of 31
    shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    All Roamio models are in the Tivo Outlet store..

4. Oct 1, 2015 #4 of 31
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I wonder if TiVo decided that a large hard drive and 6 tuners aren't that important to most consumers.

5. Oct 1, 2015 #5 of 31
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I hope not.

But it's possible. They're the only ones that know how well the various models of Roamios sold. They may have data that indicates most people don't actually need 6 tuners.

6. Oct 1, 2015 #6 of 31
    TWinbrook46636

TWinbrook46636 Member

Feb 8, 2008
    So far only 3 models passed through certification two of which are the 500GB/1TB models that were announced the other being the OTA model that hasn't come out yet. That's a little discouraging. I guess it wouldn't be all that difficult to add 6-tuner support and a larger hard drive though the smaller form factor may be an issue.

My Roamio Plus if often recording 4 shows at once and sometimes I've caught all 6 tuners are in use. I havant even added any TiVo minis to it yet.

7. Oct 1, 2015 #7 of 31
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I realize it is on the "outlet" page with all the other Roamios, but if you look at the service options, the Pro has the same 1-year free service that the new Bolts, while all the other Roamios do not. I think they are planning to keep the Pro around for a while as the 6-tuner/larger hard drive option for some time.

8. Oct 1, 2015 #8 of 31
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    What evidence do you have that they are planning to release a "Bolt Pro"?

9. Oct 1, 2015 #9 of 31
    caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    It's still interesting they differentiate between the Plus and Pro like that.

I look Bolt as the hot new 2-seater sports car with the latest tech that's great for zipping around in. The Roamio Pro is the luxury model that hasn't been refreshed in a couple of years, but carries more people for longer distances.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Given a response I just received from someone manning TiVo's Facebook page, I'd say "yes."

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Have any of the MSOs switched to the Bolt? Interesting to see if they think 4 tuners is enough going forward or if they stay with the 6 tuner Roamios.

12. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I think it's very likely the MSOs will stick with the Roamio Plus/Pro. MSOs don't like change, and they will want equipment to be standardized across their deployments. Also, why would a cable company want to deploy a DVR capable of OTA? I suppose TiVo could turn off that capability in the software, but why pay to put in the extra hardware when you don't need it. And I think the new Bolt design is just going to be too out there for them to swallow, and a 6-tuner whole home DVR is basically what all of the cable companies have gone to for their premium whole-home DVR setups.

I think TiVo will be churning out Roamio Pros/T6s for retail and MSO partners for a good while to come.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Thats what I think also. Which may also explain why there is no 6 tuner Bolt (no demand from cable companies). If they would just let these 4 tuner Bolts fully function as a mini I'll bet more people would be interested in adding them to their setups, especially people who get good OTA reception. A setup with a Plus/Pro using cable and a Bolt using OTA plus however more minis they needed would not be out of the question for lots of the people around here if the Bolt could share a tuner from the Plus/Pro when live cable was wanted.

14. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    If you add a Mini or two to the mix suddenly 6 tuners isn't all that much. I'm wondering if the Mini has been a successful product in terms of Tivo's perceptions.

15. Keen

Keen Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm pretty sure there's more storage than that in these models... :p

16. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Ah, I see. I accidentally used "MB" instead of "GB". Stupid metric system. Whoopsies.

17. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    If the lower end Roamios were better sellers than the Pro, I can totally see TiVo replacing the Roamio Basic and Plus with the Bolt and keeping the Roamio Pro around for the smaller number of customers that do need more tuners and/or more storage space. However, if they're going to keep the Roamio Pro around as the current option for "power users", I don't see how they can withhold big new features like SkipMode. That's artificially forcing customers into a choice they really shouldn't have to make.

18. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    That's why, despite what we have heard so far, I think eventually they will announce that the SkipMode feature will be coming to the Roamio line.

19. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Could be. But it's odd that they've specifically said that SkipMode is a Bolt-only feature, whereas QuickMode is "coming soon" to the Roamio.

20. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    When they first launched the new website, it did say that SkipMode was coming to the Roamios, but they quickly pulled that back. It could be that they actually do plan to eventually roll out SkipMode to Roamios, but didn't want to potentially hurt Bolt sales out of the gate by saying it.