Does Tivo Clear Space For the Whole Show

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Nasir, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Nasir

Nasir New Member

Aug 21, 2005

Advertisements

Anytime I try to record anything over about 50 minutes I get the no more room message does Tivo assume I'm going to record the whole show is their a way around this because I only record a couple of minutes of any show is their a certain amount of hours I have to be below my 35 hours for it to work.

2. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    Do have a large number of shows saved with the "Keep Until I Delete" option? If so, your Tivo will subtract the total amount of time from the total beacuse it has no idea when those shows will be deleted. If that's not enough room to record a newly requested program, you'll get that message. If your Tivo is stock, you should be able to get at least 24 one hour shows on it. I know as I often don't watch anything for a month.

3. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Yes, TiVo will only delete whole recordings. TiVo does not leave 1/2 of a show for you to watch.

4. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Another thing to remember is that the 35 hours of recording time is like the 35 MPG gasoline mileage with your car, you'll never get it.

The DirecTiVos record the actual feed from DirecTV and depending upon the content compression, you will likely never get much more than 24 to 28 hours of recording on a 35 hour DirecTiVo.

5. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA

Advertisements

Sounds like you need a hard drive upgrade. I followed the 'hinsdale howto' instructions via a google search and found it relatively easy to upgrade both of my Directivos.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I added punctuation to hopefully help me understand completely. And added bold replies.

7. Nasir

Nasir New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Thanks for the help I've been wondering for six months I had counted and was like this can't be 35 hours so that cleared it up alot.