Does TiVo care about it's existing customers

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by fr0gpil0t, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Jan 9, 2013 #1 of 37
    fr0gpil0t

fr0gpil0t New Member

Dec 5, 2010

Advertisements

I started out with a Series 2 with Lifetime and upgraded 3 years ago to an HD with Lifetime.

The Series 2 has long died and therefore is not checking in. I was looking to buy a Premiere to access some of the new features. No h/w discounts for existing users like they used to offer. No Multi-service discount available as the Series 2 is not checking in. So basically full price for me ;-(

Seems like they don't really care about existing customers and the tens of people who have purchased TiVo's after seeing ours. Plus the HD doesn't actually work well with Switched video.

Time to just get a Cable TV DVR and get h/w refreshes as needed ?

2. Jan 9, 2013 #2 of 37
    NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Bottom line is cableco DVRs are garbage.

If you're a person who truly understands how much better the TiVo hardware is, just go for it.

Just remember how fast you'll fill up that cableco DVR with 2 tuners and 20 HD hours.

3. Jan 9, 2013 #3 of 37
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Another one of these "Tivo owes me something" threads again? How much more of a discount do you want on the box? It's already selling for dirt cheap compared to what they used to be. The MSD policy hasn't changed - you need a full priced sub to qualify. You don't have one so tough luck.

4. Jan 9, 2013 #4 of 37
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    OP - I think you came to the wrong place for sympathy. That is the way it goes.

If you want help resurrecting your old S2 so that it CAN call in, just respond with appropriate details.

5. Jan 9, 2013 #5 of 37
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

Let me know if I have this correct: Based on the fact that you are an "existing customer" that hasn't actually paid anything to Tivo for three years, you want them to give you a special deal. Did I miss anything?

6. Jan 9, 2013 #6 of 37
    fr0gpil0t

fr0gpil0t New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Correct I do. If TiVo are happy to 'recognize" me as an existing customer and give me the $100 MSD then I will remain with them. In return they will get to keep me for another 3 years - I will spend ~$500 and more on their new option like Stream. I will be cheaper to setup as a new customer as I know how to install the box so will not require any technical support.

The alternative is now I understand TiVo has no interest in their customers, I will start looking at alternatives I will keep the box for another couple of months while I look at options. In this time I will spend no new money with TiVo, I will not speak highly of them to my friends and I will probably spend my money elsewhere.

Which is the better deal for TiVo ?

I would have thought it is to TiVo's advantage to get me onto the latest h/w look at the extra I can thenpurchase. Most companies in the tech business recognize it's good to keep your customers h/w current - even AT&T does with cell phones. If you don't make it easy and cost effective then you give your customers an opportunity to switch. Then you lose the customer forever.

Not looking for sympathy here - just surprised TiVo does not want to keep it's existing customers.

7. Jan 9, 2013 #7 of 37
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    TiVo treats paying customers the same as well so I don't see your point.

8. Jan 9, 2013 #8 of 37
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The T&C are clear. Repair your S2, have it call in, and get your discount.

9. Jan 9, 2013 #9 of 37
    fr0gpil0t

fr0gpil0t New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    The S2 hit the dumpster years ago.

It's not about the T&Cs it's marketing 101 - keep your existing customers and keep them on current h/w.

10. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    This....I paid $800 for the original Series 3 when it came out. Just replaced it with an XL4 at less than half the price...and you can get other Premieres for a fraction of the XL4's price.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The thing is though, that you aren't really an existing customer, you are merely a user of their services (drain on their resources) for which they get nothing in return. That's not what businesses want in a customer.

12. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Get the Premiere + Stream combo for $200 from Best Buy. Use the 'ol coupon code PLSR to get $100 off Lifetime when activating.

That's about as good as it's going to get. They have expenses to recoup for subsidizing the box as much as they do in the first place.

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I wish TiVo would do an offer on lifetime transfers to get people to upgrade.
    Maybe $200 - $250 to move lifetime from any Series 3 to any Premiere.
    I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

Don't think it'll ever happen though. :(

14. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true. If they didn't care about current customers they wouldn't offer the MSD at all. They wouldn't make upgrade offers to existing customers. They wouldn't offer S3 owners an opportunity to upgrade to Lifetime for $99 when purchasing a new unit. All of which they do/have done. The fact that you don't meet the criteria is irrelevant to how they treat their customer base as a whole.

15. fr0gpil0t

fr0gpil0t New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    WhiskeyTango - don't understand what you are saying ?

I'm a former Series 2 owner and a current Series 3 owner with lifetime- when I purchase a new unit they expect me to pay for full price for the unit and for a new lifetime contract - where are you getting this $99 deal it's a fantasy.

To others that have replied I would have purchased a new unit on line this afternoon if TiVo had acknowledged my loyalty in a tiny way. It seems because I didn't pay full price for lifetime last time I'm off their list.The fact I have paid $299 twice is irrelevant. I think a simple solution would be to recognize former ownership and allow you to transfer your subscription to the new unit and then pay a reasonable lifetime fee ($200-$300). That way I don't ebay the old unit - losing them a potential new customer.

I'm a sample size of one but I will probably buy something else - and ebay my HD unit. So as one of the replies said my unit will continue to be a drag on Tivo and they will get no new money from me. A going out of business strategy there is a lot of choice out there.

Soon after I bought the TiVo HD - TiVo made it very clear new s/w features or device upgrades available only for the Series 4. So having obsoleted my unit at least give me a reasonable way of upgrading.

TiVo you lost a loyal customer and your unhelpful sales rep was not willing to try to keep me.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You would "have" to pay full price, because you're not fulfilling the requirements -- the existing lifetime unit calling in. You basically broke the "contract".

Plus, you can get the MSD lifetime discount very easily and AFAIK not in any way violating Tivo's rules -- have someone ELSE order it and set it up, then transfer it to your account.

17. fr0gpil0t

fr0gpil0t New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Can you explain how that works please ?

18. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I know you wouldn't want facts to get in the way of a good whining rant but how did TiVo obsolete your TiVoHD not giving you a reasonable way to upgrade? I am still running two of them, both did everything promised at purchase and still do everything promised, I didn't think the products would be brought up to whatever the replacement offered when I made the purchases. I consider buying the new product a reasonable way to upgrade if I was inclined to do so, I am not, at least not until mine break or are really obsolete.

19. fr0gpil0t

fr0gpil0t New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    It's not a rant !! It's a statement of how I feel based on facts. No I don't expect all the Premiere feature to be on the HD. But have you noticed anything new is now Series 4 only. It is done to make you upgrade. Of course my TiVo still works as bought but in the gadget world some upgrades are expected especially when v1.0 was flaky and then a less expensive way to upgrade. Look at your iphone and the s/w upgrades and then the deal every 2 years to get the latest h/w.

Obviously there is no point in trying to state how you feel amongst a group of Tivo Diehards. Perhaps you will care when TiVo loses too many customers and finally goes broke. How many quarters can you post losses and rely on Patent infringements court case winnings to stay a float ?

I use to love TiVo not anymore ;-(

20. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Then you are at fault for not doing your homework.

I gather that you got the MSD discount on lifetime on the S3 because the full price lifetime S3 was still running at the time.

If you still had that unit running, you could get the MSD discount on lifetime on another TiVo.

I don't think TiVo has ever made it a secret that MSD depends on having a full price subscription qualifying unit.

Chances are good that you could have gotten that S2 working again with $10 worth of capacitors.

Possibly you would have had to have replaced the hard drive.

If the motherboard had actually died you could have picked up a used unsubcribed unit of the same model and moved the TiVo Service Number to which the lifetime sub is tied by moving the crypto chip.

If you'd done the research you'd have known these things.

If I'd done more research first, I'd have done a number of things differently with my first TiVo, an S1 I acquired in 2006.

We live and we learn, usually the hard way.